Morannon

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I just realized that our wording, Thorsten, allows for an interesting side ability even if you had no intention of fighting Sauron with the One Ring. A company could theoretically play this at M-tirith, then move to Cirith Gorgor via Dagorlad, then get the special teleportation to Barad-dur, all without using the named heroes or facing any attacks! Off the cuff, I don’t see this as being an especially strong ability. True, you are giving yourself TWO greater item site phases in one turn, but you are also visiting two of the most dangerous sites in the game. It also allows for some neat, faster interplay with Tower Raided (V).

Morannon (V) (Thorsten's latest version, edited slightly for less words)
Playable on a company at Minas Tirith. Company may move to Cirith Gorgor via Dagorlad. Tap this card when Aragorn II, Boromir II, Denethor II, Faramir, Galadriel or Saruman in this company is moving to Cirith Gorgor. When tapped, company may not move outside Udun or Gorgoroth if there, and each movement/hazard phase they face the following attacks: Orcs 5@10, Trolls 3@12, Men 1@13, and attacks from each Nazgul permanent-event in play. During the site phase after entering Cirith Gorgor (ignore effects forcing the company to do nothing), you may replace site with Barad-dur. If an aforementioned character is at Barad-dur bearing The One Ring and Morannon is tapped, at the end of the site phase s/he faces an attack alone: Maia 1@24. If attack is defeated, bearer makes a corruption check: if successful, you win. Otherwise you lose.
I think we're done! We can continue the Sudden Call discussion, but we need to get new version of Morannon finalized for Worlds.

Frodo
Last edited by Frodo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Interesting trick indeed Frodo, we should award points for the guy who pulls it off :wink:
And points for the guy who pulls it off while at same time manages to play something usefull at Minas Tirith, thus not blowing his turn there :wink:

one little side note: you changed my line 'may not move outside Dagorlad/Gorgoroth' into 'may not leave'. But actually, they are not in either of these regions but in Udun...I just didn't mention Udun since Cirith Gorgor is the only site there, so leaving that site means moving from Udun, or to Under Galleries of course, which could be an interesting way to avoid 'leaving Dagorlad or Gorgoroth, as you have phrased it.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

My mistake regarding the movement. Sometimes I get into editing mode without thinking.

Edit done above! I actually wrote "Udun or Gorgoroth" because he will never be able to move back to Dagorlad (the "door" was only open one-way, according to the clause on Morannon). Also, I think U-Deeps movement would count as moving outside of the region (if not, Sauron will just chase him through the tunnels!)

Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

ah, well I thought a retreat to the Dead Marshes would be thematically appropriate, since the fight was outside the doors actually on the good side, and I figured once you do the site hopping is when you go through the doors, not before. (that's just ICE's mistake, they should have made hero Cirith Gorgor in Dagorlad). Also Dead Marshes is useful site, gives company at least 1 option to do something if not at Morannon.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Development”