Few for Stinker/Gollum

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

It must be pretty obvious to all, that we see lots of My Precious, and precious little of Gollum/Stinker :wink:

All Thought Bent upon It V. : permanent-event
Playable on Stinker. Tap stinker to take an item opponent has in play from discard pile to hand (show opponent). If his company size is less than 3, the company may move up to two additional regions when moving to a site where opponent's company is present; you must reveal from hand an item (or a manifestation thereof) opponent's company controls. After any successful strike by Stinker in CvCC, you may play with a character in the company an item identical to an item opponent's character wounded by Stinker is bearing: discard opponent's item.

Yes this is not easy to pull off, but against Hobbits it might work, and that's what it's all about after all. Other option would be to simply give Stinker a Strider ability, currently no minion has it, while heroes have Strider and Lobelia.I though about a general 'tap to play from discard a unique item playable at the site.' yes it's strong but you can't start the game with Stinker like with Strider.

The Undeeps of Anduin V: permanent-event
Unique. Lost Knowledge. Playable on an untapped sage at a site in Anduin Vales or Brown Lands. Tap sage and the site (if untapped). Sage may tap to cancel the effect of Rolled down to the Sea before it resolves. Tap this card to take Gollum or Stinker to hand from discard pile.
Alternatively, if My Precious is in play (face up or has been revealed), a character in the company bearing a ring special item may tap at the beginning of the site phase and have My Precious attack the company (+2 to his prowess). You must provide My Precious with a site from your location deck in the same or adjacent region to where character is. This card may be played as a hero resource.

benefits are obvious, if you know what happened to the ring, you can prevent it falling again, and you can enslave My Precious. Of course it;s risky, you might lose and he's off with the ring, so better use a big guy like Gorn to tame him.

Coveteous thoughts V: short-event
Playable on Gollum or Stinker. If at the same site or site of destination, you may reveal My Precious. Make a roll, subtract the controlling character's unused direct influence and add the total MP value of any rings in the company. If the result is >7, discard Stinker/Gollum: My Precious attacks a ring bearer (attacker's choice) with +2 prowess (and a roll). Either way, turn My Precious face down afterwards.

You could play Gollum after failed attack of My Precious, now you can turn Gollum into evil again! But with Undeeps of Anduin you can get Gollum/Stinker back, should he try to attack you next turn! Even if Gollum has sworn on The Precious (+5 DI), then you can't be sure to control My Precious (-6MP) :wink:

yeah yeah, I know, we dont want to discourage ringplay, blah blah. Ever seen LotR the movie? And who was the star there? :D Besides, to wound a guy wearing One Ring or Dwarven Ring is going to be tough.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

i like the ideas, is it possible to work on texts in order to make them not too big?

maybe this topic should be moved to showcase so everyone can give their oppinions
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yep you're right, sorry, didnt post ideas in long time so forgot the correct place...
Well, All Thought and Coveteous Thought arent that big, are they? Undeeps has some clauses that are debatable, so it could be slimmed down.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Here are some less wordy versions:

All Thought:
Tap Stinker during the organization phase to bring a manifestation of an item your opponent has in play to your hand. If so tapped, Stinker's company must move to the same site as one of your opponent's companies, but may move two extra regions. The item may be played after CvCC if Stinker is unwounded; your opponent discards his manifestation.

Undeeps:
Unique. Lost Knowledge. Playable on an untapped age at a site in Anduin Vales or Brown Land. Tap the sage and the site (if untapped). Sage may tap to cancel the effect of Rolled Down to the Sea before it resolved. Tap this card to take Gollum or Stinker from the discard pile to your hand or to force My Precious to attack your company (with +2 prowess) regardless of his current site.
marcos
Council Member

they look better now :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

But also more simplified. :wink:
For example, in my version, Stinker didn't have to move the same turn but could move a turn later, so he could be untapped at arrival and choose who to attack, which gives him a lot better survival rate. In fact, in this version Stinker can move with like 10 guys and not get a strike at all, and then opponent would automatically lose his item, and that's not fair...you see, sometimes there is a reason for wording something a bit more lengthy...

Undeeps: if you remove the ringbearer clause, there is no drawback to have My Precious attack you other than being wounded perhaps. And thematically, if you don't have a ring, why would My Precious attack you?

seriously, I agree we should keep things simple as possible, but these were not that lengthy cards.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:But also more simplified. :wink:
For example, in my version, Stinker didn't have to move the same turn but could move a turn later, so he could be untapped at arrival and choose who to attack, which gives him a lot better survival rate. In fact, in this version Stinker can move with like 10 guys and not get a strike at all, and then opponent would automatically lose his item, and that's not fair...you see, sometimes there is a reason for wording something a bit more lengthy...

Undeeps: if you remove the ringbearer clause, there is no drawback to have My Precious attack you other than being wounded perhaps. And thematically, if you don't have a ring, why would My Precious attack you?

seriously, I agree we should keep things simple as possible, but these were not that lengthy cards.
i still think that all second version of all thought is better, anyway, how would stinker be succefull in cvcc? he isnt event a warrior so you cant give them some booster...

About Undeeps:i agree that is less thematic without a ring bearer, but until we get some people to play more rings for points then such a card would be useless because there wont be any ring bearer ;)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

So you really intend for Stinker not to do any fighting, so you have to arrive with more people than opponent? That just seems unfair, it's difficult to defend against it other than untapping somehow your guys or tapping out opponent completely. In my version Stinker had a chance to choose who he would fight (Hobbit?), and he had the chance to wait for the right moment, yet even if a few turns later opponent would already know because he's seen the item you got from discard.

You can boost Stinker with a few Report You's, that was the idea, some leader has Stinker on a leash to find something like a little snuffler.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:So you really intend for Stinker not to do any fighting, so you have to arrive with more people than opponent? That just seems unfair, it's difficult to defend against it other than untapping somehow your guys or tapping out opponent completely. In my version Stinker had a chance to choose who he would fight (Hobbit?), and he had the chance to wait for the right moment, yet even if a few turns later opponent would already know because he's seen the item you got from discard.

You can boost Stinker with a few Report You's, that was the idea, some leader has Stinker on a leash to find something like a little snuffler.
OK, you convinced me :)

Return to “Development”