New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 am When a play deck is exhausted, when does the discard pile get reset and shuffled as the new play deck? Is it immediately or after the turn? If it is immediately, what happens under the following scenario: I must draw three cards, but there is only one card left in my deck. I draw that card and exhaust my deck, and I thereby reshuffle my discard pile into the play deck. Do I draw another two cards (to make three) or do I draw no further cards. I thought that the deck is only reset after the current turn, but if it is reset immediately, I believe I would draw no further cards under the stated scenario. It was suggested to me otherwise.
As soon as the last card is drawn, the play deck is exhausted. You are then allowed to call the Free Council (marshaling point requirements being met). You then shuffle your discard pile, it becomes your new play deck, and you then continue to draw the remaining cards you were supposed to draw.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 am When moving to/between/from an under-deeps site, since no region cards are used, if I play A Short Rest, does that allow me to draw four extra cards?
No, you may not use A Short Rest with under-deeps movement or special movement (Rhun, etc.)
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 am My friend was arguing that he can play Paths of the Dead, even if his company does not start at Dunharrow and move to Vale of Erech (the card does NOT say 'ONLY playable on a company at...'). He then argued that if Aragorn II is at Vale of Erech that turn, he can then play Army of the Dead because he played Paths of the Dead, even though it did not fulfill the game text on the card. I told him that's ridiculous and that it's essentially cheating... :roll:
This is a contested topic, although typically it is allowed. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3338
An erratum to this card to correct this problem will be up for vote soon during our Annual Rules Vote. Since you have an opinion on the matter, I recommend you register to vote here: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=3366
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 am Attempting to get dead cards out of his hand, my friend also argued that if Doors of Night is already in play, he can still play a second Doors of Night, it just doesn't take effect and it goes straight to the discard pile because it "cannot be duplicated." I told him that's ridiculous and it's essentially cheating... :roll:
No, your friend is incorrect. Only if the copy of Doors of Night in play is currently targeted for removal in a chain of effects may a second copy be played.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I'm a bit disappointed in the answer regarding A Short Rest, but shocked by the answer regarding Paths of the Dead. I feel playing Paths of the Dead by exploiting a semantic loophole (not starting at Dunharrow), knowing fully well what the intention of the card originally was (to duplicate an event that happened in the novel) is in poor spirit of the game.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm I'm a bit disappointed in the answer regarding A Short Rest, but shocked by the answer regarding Paths of the Dead. I feel playing Paths of the Dead by exploiting a semantic loophole (not starting at Dunharrow), knowing fully well what the intention of the card originally was (to duplicate an event that happened in the novel) is in poor spirit of the game.
At this point, I've kind of gone numb to semantic loopholes killing off the intention of a card. I did used to be shocked once upon a time . . .
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Theo

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 am An erratum to this card to correct this problem will be up for vote soon during our Annual Rules Vote. Since you have an opinion on the matter, I recommend you register to vote here: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=3366
In the mean time, imagine there are many Paths of the Dead, most of which do not connect opposite sides of mountain ranges, and of which the books only mentioned the one? :|
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(19) I feel like this is a weird question, but it's important. If I have Fellowship on my company, and my opponent plays Stormcrow, can I play Marvels Told as a reaction to cancel it and make sure that it doesn't cancel my Fellowship? Or does Stormcrow have to resolve and thereby cancel Fellowship before I can use Marvels Told to cancel it? I'm really confused as to how that works, and I feel like I shouldn't be.
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo

Marvel's Told can't target Stormcrow until after Stormcrow comes into play and has already created the effect to remove Fellowship. This isn't obvious; it took a special annotation to make clear!
CRF wrote:Annotation 1: A card is not in play until it is resolved in its chain of effects. When the play of a card is declared, no elements of the card may be the target of actions declared in the same chain of effects. An exception to this is a dice-rolling action; e.g., a corruption check.
There are also a couple cards that specifically overrule this (e.g. Many Sorrows Befall).
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Ok thank! The annotation is exactly what I wasn't sure about.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(20) If Elrond is my starting character, seeing as how he is at Rivendell and this is before I draw my hand, do I draw eight or nine cards for my opening hand?
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CRF, Turn Sequence Rulings, Beginning Of The Game:
Your starting hand is eight cards, regardless of what characters you have at particular sites.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(21) If I wish to travel to an under-deeps site, must I at any time face the automatic attack of the surface site?
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:49 am If I wish to travel to an under-deeps site, must I at any time face the automatic attack of the surface site?
No. You do not face automatic attacks for sites that you are leaving. Only for sites that you are entering during the site phase.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(22) Say I have two companies at separate sites. During my organization and long event phases I play several cards and I am left with less than eight cards in my hand to start my movement/hazard phase. Seeing as how I choose the order in which my companies go through the movement/hazard phase, if I choose to move one company, but not the other, may I choose to have my non-moving company go through its movement/hazard phase first so I can draw cards back up to a hand of eight to finish that company's movement/hazard phase, and thereby start my moving company's movement/hazard phase with a fresh hand?

(23) If Peril Returned is in play, and then someone plays The Will of Sauron, do they both effectively keep each other in play until a deck is exhausted or one is cancelled somehow?

(24) How many rings can a character use at one time? Is it just like weapons and armor where they can only use one?
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 am Say I have two companies at separate sites. During my organization and long event phases I play several cards and I am left with less than eight cards in my hand to start my movement/hazard phase. Seeing as how I choose the order in which my companies go through the movement/hazard phase, if I choose to move one company, but not the other, may I choose to have my non-moving company go through its movement/hazard phase first so I can draw cards back up to a hand of eight to finish that company's movement/hazard phase, and thereby start my moving company's movement/hazard phase with a fresh hand?
Yes.
If Peril Returned is in play, and then someone plays The Will of Sauron, do they both effectively keep each other in play until a deck is exhausted or one is cancelled somehow?
That's the right idea. Some edge cases may be up for voting on in the upcoming rule ballet.
How many rings can a character use at one time? Is it just like weapons and armor where they can only use one?
There is no hard limit on rings, although you may want to be careful of the corruption. It could be a fun solo challenge format to try to get a character with 10+ rings.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Theo wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:59 am
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 amIf Peril Returned is in play, and then someone plays The Will of Sauron, do they both effectively keep each other in play until a deck is exhausted or one is cancelled somehow?
That's the right idea. Some edge cases may be up for voting on in the upcoming rule ballet.
See this discussion.... viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3293

There will be a vote on this topic.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(25) Can the alternative effect of Drowning Seas (target company must immediately return to its site of origin) be played on any company regardless of whether it has a coastal sea in its site path? Only the first effect specifies the coastal sea as a prerequisite, but it seems implied for both effects.

(26) If a company arrives at a site, but chooses not to face the automatic attack, enter and explore the site, the rules state that that company "may not take any other actions or play any cards during the site phase." If you only have one company in play, in this case, does that mean that a card like Gates of Morning or Smoke Rings cannot be played for the rest of the turn? Or would either technically be playable during the end-of-turn phase? I don't know why anyone would wait to play either card until then, but for the sake of example, its good to know.
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”