New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Yea.. If it would be absolutely clear, then the question of DuncanNeeds2Shave would not be arisen.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CCG Collector

Buhr Widu is returned to the location deck instead of being discarded, but if you go there again, you play it tapped, right? Otherwise it would say "This site never taps" like minion The Worthy Hills?
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

No. It comes into play as other site cards from Location Deck.
Buhr Widu does not say "This site never taps", so company at the site cannot play unlimited number of resources without carrying about its tapped/untapped state and the site is vulnerable to effects like that from Long Winter.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

BTW. There is a method to have a minion site card of The Worthy Hills tapped and to discard it. :)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Well, yes, but what FW is going to do that instead of Hidden Havening it? :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

It is only for educational purposes (like some cards). :)
CCG Collector

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 pm No. It comes into play as other site cards from Location Deck.
Buhr Widu does not say "This site never taps", so company at the site cannot play unlimited number of resources without carrying about its tapped/untapped state and the site is vulnerable to effects like that from Long Winter.
But a haven, if it was tapped (for example, as a result of playing Elves of Lindon at the Grey Havens), does not untap simply because you leave it, right? I feel like I remember reading somewhere to keep track of if havens are tapped or not, but of course, if I could remember where, I wouldn't be asking.

Also, is there any reason to not just have a location deck with every location in it, to keep all of your options open? There's no limit on the size of a location deck (beyond the restriction of only one of each non-haven), right?
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CCG Collector wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am
Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 pm No. It comes into play as other site cards from Location Deck.
But a haven, if it was tapped (for example, as a result of playing Elves of Lindon at the Grey Havens), does not untap simply because you leave it, right? I feel like I remember reading somewhere to keep track of if havens are tapped or not, but of course, if I could remember where, I wouldn't be asking.

Also, is there any reason to not just have a location deck with every location in it, to keep all of your options open? There's no limit on the size of a location deck (beyond the restriction of only one of each non-haven), right?
If you can come up with the quote, we might be able to explain its context, but a site that comes from the location deck is untapped.

This, at least, may be seen from returning your sites to the location deck after exhausting. Should you play a site again in this instance, it will be untapped regardless of its state the first time through the deck.

And indeed, it's the practice to keep a copy of every site you legally can in your deck. Sometimes you need to hunt down your opponent.

Or run away from him. :)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CCG Collector wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am But a haven, if it was tapped (for example, as a result of playing Elves of Lindon at the Grey Havens), does not untap simply because you leave it, right?
Haven card does not untap, if leaved by company. If nothing hold it in play, it is returned to Location Deck.
CCG Collector wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am I feel like I remember reading somewhere to keep track of if havens are tapped or not, but of course, if I could remember where, I wouldn't be asking.
Maybe it comes to haven cards in play?
Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, Characters & Companies wrote:Clarification: During the organization phase, one Darkhaven card may be used to represent the location of two or more companies, so long as the distinction between companies is clearly presented spatially. However, we suggest the use of multiple Darkhaven cards for clarity
CCG Collector wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am Also, is there any reason to not just have a location deck with every location in it, to keep all of your options open? There's no limit on the size of a location deck (beyond the restriction of only one of each non-haven), right?
Fallen-wizard player may have (not too compelling) reason to not to have every allowed site card in Location Deck.
If his strategy relies heavily on minion [-me_fh-] [-me_bh-], so he do not want them to be replaced by hero version when Heart Grown Cold, or Plotting Ruin is discarded, then he may reason to not have a hero [-me_fh-] [-me_bh-] and Hero Havens in Location Deck.
CDavis7M

I agree that tapped havens return to the deck and can be played again untapped.

It's interesting having multiple companies at the same haven with different site cards because presumably you could tap the same site twice in one turn (eg play Elves of Lindon normally and play Blue Mtn Dwarves with old road, all in the same turn). I tried to build a faction deck (ab)using old road and hour of need. Turns out, there are only a handful of factions that work with old road. And hour of need has limited character playability and is risky.

A related note, having multiple havens and all of the sites is useful if playing Agents. Elf agents can move to havens, so it's nice to have an extra copy. And also, if you tap a site with your own companies, the agent cannot move there. So it would be nice to have multiple options for sites in a particular region. Though, I'm still trying to determine the usefulness of agents themselves.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 pmThough, I'm still trying to determine the usefulness of agents themselves.
Using Agents well is one of the trickiest things in the game, but they're devastating when so used (not even counting broken cards like Pilfer).
CDavis7M

so, Agents are high risk, then? I'm making a deck that uses agents. I'll post about it soon. And I think that I'll actually be able to make an informative contribution. But before that, I have some questions.

Good Sense Revolts:

Code: Select all

Playable on an untapped agent. Tap the agent who may then make an influence attempt against an ally, faction, or character. +4 to influence attempt. +8 if ally, faction, or character is playable at agent's home site. Alternatively, modify an influence attempt by an agent by +4. This card cannot serve both functions.
Your Welcome is Doubtful:

Code: Select all

Playable on an untapped agent. Tap the agent who may then make an influence attempt against an ally or character. +6 to influence attempt (+10 if the agent is a diplomat). An additional +7 to the attempt if target character has the same home site as the agent or if target ally is playable at the agent's home site.
Unlike other cards, and even other agent playable cards, these cards do not specify that the opponents target character/ally must be traveling to the agents site. That is, the agent is at the characters new site. Or even, current site. I tried to search for an explanation but couldn't find one. My best interpretation is that the agent can influence a character that is moving to the agents site, or that is staying at a site which the agent is also at.

For regular characters to influence others, they move to the same site, and do the influencing action during the site phase. But a hazard player cannot play hazards during the site phase (is this correct). So, if these 2 agent cards can't be played on a moving company, would they be played as "on guard"?

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

MEDM Rules wrote:To influence an ally, follower, or character, the agent must be at the new site for the target or at the target's current site if the company did not move. To influence a faction, the agent must be at the site at which the faction is playable.
CDavis7M

As wise as the Old Took himself!

DuncanNeeds2Shave

1. If Gandalf is tapped, and Narya is played, does Gandalf untap?

2. If my opponent attempts to tap Elrond (sage/diplomat) to play an item at a site, may I reveal Gnaw With Words on guard to tap Elrond (if applicable), and thereby prevent him from playing an item with Elrond?

3. If Galadriel is at Lorien, and I move to Lorien with Elrond, and then I play Bridge at the end of my movement/hazard phase, is there a site phase before I move on to my next movement/hazard phase and site? If NOT, before I move on from Lorien, may I play Three Golden Hairs on Elrond, seeing he does visit Lorien, or must he stay at Lorien to do so? Did I word that clearly?

4. If The Balance of Things comes into play, and my wizard has The Emerald of the Mariner, may I choose to double the Emerald's +1 "anti-corruption" corruption points? Or is that not allowed?

5. I need clarity on "Unique" events. Many Sorrows Befall, The Balance of Things, Favor of the Valar...if one of these cards has been played, is there any scenario later in the game when they can be played again? It is my current understanding that once a card like Many Sorrows Befall is played, afterward it is gone from the game for good. But it just feels wrong.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”