Prowess of Age and The Tormented Earth (could vs would)

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Prowess of Age and The Tormented Earth (could vs would)

Post by Konrad Klar »

The Dragons: Prowess of Age
Rarity: Rare, Precise: R3

Hazard: Short-event

Targets and cancels any effect which (declared earlier in the same chain of effects) that would cancel an attack from a unique Dragon manifestation. Alternatively, gives a prowess bonus to a Dragon or Drake attack (must be played before its strikes are assigned) dictated by the number of Prowess of Age cards played on the attack: +1 prowess if 1 played; +4 if 2 played; +9 if 3 played. "'...Then I was young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong.'"-Hob
Against the Shadow: The Tormented Earth
Rarity: Uncommon, Precise: U3

Resource: Short-event

Magic. Sorcery. Playable on a sorcery-using character facing a non-automatic-attack. Cancels the attack or gives the attack -3 prowess, your choice. Unless he is a Ringwraith, character makes a corruption check modified by -4. Cannot be duplicated against a given attack. "...as if...smitten with a shower of bolts and huge slingstones..."-LotRVI
Bold original.

Can Prowess of Age target The Tormented Earth?

As I see, declared The Tormented Earth neither would cancel attack, nor would give the attack malus to its prowess.
The choice (to cancel or to give malus) is made as part of main effect of The Tormented Earth.

EDIT: not all bold texts was marked as bold.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Re: Prowess of Age and The Tormented Earth (could vs would)

Post by CDavis7M »

I like that you included the work "or" in bold as in the original text. I find the bold "or" to be important in the cards and rules. Probably why it is in bold.

For Tormented Earth, it seems like it has the option between one effect or another effect -- an "optional effect" if you will.

There are rules for this type of thing.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Post by Konrad Klar »

I am selective. I like "your choice" and I like the lack of "alternatively".
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Post by CDavis7M »

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:51 pm I am selective. I like "your choice" and I like the lack of "alternatively".
Tormented Earth has optional effects, but the player playing the card must does not have to choose which will take place. He must does not do this at the time the card is played, not but when it is resolved in its chain of effects.

... hmm...

By the way, the card does not lack "alternatively." It's part of "or."
Or.jpg
Or.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Return to “Rules Questions”