rules question: smoke on the wind

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

playing MECCG last sunday raised a few questions. most of them are solved by now, one is still not cleared:

is it possible to play cards/trigger effects between the 2 attacks of Smoke on the Wind? more precisely: can i untap a character with strange rations after the first attack, but before the second?
Smoke on the Wind
MP: 3 miscellaneous
Description: Playable at an already tapped Free-hold [F] during the site phase. The company faces two attacks (Men --- 5 strikes with 8 prowess, 1 strike with 10 prowess). If no characters are untapped following the attack, discard this card. Otherwise, you may tap one character in the company and put this card in your marshalling point pile. Discard any factions you have in play that are playable at this site. Cannot be duplicated at a given site.
marcos
Council Member

yes, you can do stuff during the strike sequence
Qapla

And what if you play a character with we have come to kill after the strikes and tap him for the requirement of smoke on the wind?
HeglumeH QaQ jajvam
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

If no characters are untapped following the attack, discard this card.
As I understand it, discarding Smoke On The Wind would be an action triggered by the passive condition of not having any characters untapped following the attack.
If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive condition. The passive condition must exist when this resulting action is resolved in its own chain of effects, or the action is canceled.
You can respond to the declaration of the discarding action by bringing in a character with We Have Come To Kill. When the action attempts to resolve, the passive condition that created it will no longer exist and the card will stay in play.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

No, no..
CRF, Rulings by Term, Pasive Conditions wrote:Annotation 9a: If a card is required to be discarded by some passive condition, the
card is discarded immediately when the condition resolves, not in the following chain
of effects.
So no chance for response.

Returning to the iniltial question:
CRF, Turn Sequence, Movement/Hazard Phase, Combat, Attack wrote:@ Between an attacks declaration and the assigning of the strikes there is time for multiple chains of effect. Thus you could for example make two attempts to cancel the attack or your opponent could use Hoarmurath for an extra strike, recycle him and add another strike. [CoE] %
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Addendum.

I think the: "If no characters are untapped following the attack, discard this card." is part of resolution of Smoke At Wind, not an action caused by passiwe condition. It does not check for anything that would happen after full resolution of the card (nothing may triger it after it full resolve).

I don't see a practical difference in this case though.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I knew there was a reason I hated trying to figure out Passive Conditions. :)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”