Gangways over the Fire vs failed underdeep roll

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bruce
Ex Council Member

Gangways over the Fire wrote:Balrog specific. At the end of its movement/hazard phase, each of your moving companies may attempt to move with Under-deeps movement to a new site they have not used yet this turn. Another site card is played and a movement/hazard phase immmediately follows. Subtract the number of complete movement/hazard phases the company has taken so far this turn from its Under-deeps movement rolls. You may start the game with this card in lieu of playing a minor item. Cannot be duplicated.
A company attempts to move from an underdeep site to an adiacent underdeep site, but it fails the movement roll. At this point, can the company (after this m/h phase is over) use Gangways to attempt to move to another adiacent underdeep site and make the movement roll with a penalty of -1?

In my opinion it is not possible, bacause the text of Gangways clearly states "each of your moving companies...", and a company failing the underdeep roll does not move. This is why such a company cannot use Gangways at the end of its m/h phase. Is this interpretation right? I searched for a ruling but I could only find this in the CRF:
CRF wrote:Gangways over the Fire

* @ A movement/hazard phase in which the Under-deeps movement failed is still a complete movement/hazard phase. [CoE] %
Darksatin

From Council of Elrond Rulings Digest # 50 :

With Gangways Over The Fire can I move till I miss a move roll or I decide to stop right ?
*** You may continue moving until you miss your rolls to all adjacent sites, or you decide to stop.
Bruce
Ex Council Member

Well, that ruling rests on a absolute lack of logic and reasoning.

GotF's text clearly says that only the moving companies can use its ability. A moving company is, by definition, "a company en route between its site of origin and its destination site". A company failing its underdeep roll has no destination site, therefore it's not en route between anything.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

MEBA, Underdeeps Movement wrote:Each adjacent site is followed by a number in parentheses-this number indicates how difficult it is to move from the Under-deeps site to the adjacent site. When an adjacent site is revealed by one of your companies whose site of origin is an Under-deeps site, you must make a roll (2D6). If the result is greater than or equal to the number in parentheses following the adjacent site as listed on its site of origin, the movement/hazard phase proceeds normally. Otherwise, the company returns to its site of origin (no cards are drawn) and the movement/hazard phase proceeds as if the company had not moved.
MELE, Glossary wrote:Moving Company: A company in the process of moving between a site of origin and new site.
That is an interesting point: according to the rules, a company that misses its roll is not considered a moving company any more; the m/h phase proceeds as if they had not moved.
Bruce wrote:Well, that ruling rests on a absolute lack of logic and reasoning.
Er . . . until you've seen the logic and reasoning behind the ruling, perhaps such statements are better left unwritten? ;)
Bruce
Ex Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote:
Bruce wrote:Well, that ruling rests on a absolute lack of logic and reasoning.
Er . . . until you've seen the logic and reasoning behind the ruling, perhaps such statements are better left unwritten? ;)
OK, maybe I got carried away a little... actually I was contesting basically the fact that the ruling mentioned by Darksatin didn't provide any argument in sustain, and looked like a slapdash statement (which probably is, IMHO :P).

And I guess the excerpt from MEBA rulesbook that you mentioned clearly proves that my point is correct: as far as movement issues are concerned, a company failing its underdeep roll is perfectly equivalent to a company which declared that they won't move, therefore they've no chance to use Gangways at the end of their m/h phase.
miguel
Ex NetRep

I believe Bruce is right. I've been extremely busy the last months, but I plan to publish a new digest in January. I'll include a ruling regarding Gangways there. :)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”