Extra-Cancelling in a Wizardhaven!

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
domse
Ex Council Member

Hey,
Given I have a company in a "Hidden Haven". If my company now gets attacked, the Hidden Haven card states, that the attack is cancelled. Can I still play another card or use another cards effect to cancel the attack (so to say in response to Hidden Haven triggering) ? I have some wild ideas on my mind if this is legal :)
Dominic
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Sure, it's legal. The trick is in getting an agent to the same site as said Wizardhaven (I can't think of anything else you could really use this for.)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
domse
Ex Council Member

Isnt that obvious? Play the great hunt, teleport with farmer maggot on the first attack, fight the other 4!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CRF, Passive Conditions wrote:# Annotation 9: If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive condition.

If more than one action is required to be the first action declared in a chain of effects, the player whose turn it is chooses the order in which they are declared. No other actions may be declared in this follow-up chain until the multiple required actions have been declared.
Farmer Maggot wrote:If one of your companies faces an attack while at a site in The Shire, Arthedain, or Cardolan, you may immediately replace its site card with another site card in The Shire, Arthedain, or Cardolan (from your location deck). If your company takes this option, the attack is canceled and this card is discarded.
Farmer Maggot is not a required passive condition, it as an optional one. Therefore, its action would only be applied after the action produced by the passive condition of the Wizardhaven has resolved. Unfortunately, this means that the Wizardhaven will have canceled the attack before Farmer Maggot's passive condition can successfully produce the canceled and moving effects.

Unless I've completely screwed up passive conditions yet again. ;)
domse
Ex Council Member

Passive conditions are the one thing I have no clue about. I tried to learn something the last hour, so I was reading through the CRF and zaras Passive Condition tutorial and I am sorry to say, but I wasnt able to reproduce your conclusions.
CRF Annotation 9 wrote: If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive condition. The passive condition must exist when this resulting action is resolved in its own chain of effects, or the action is canceled. Note that actions in the strike sequence follow a different set of rules.
This annotation if I understand zara correctly (and I think I do) treats the case that a card setting up a passive condition is yet to resolve. Such cases are usually seen in Movement/Hazard Phase, as hazards need to resolve to hit the table. In my case, both Hidden Haven and Farmer Maggot have already resolved => no problem ?!
CRF Annotation 10 wrote: If more than one action is required to be the first action declared in a chain of effects, the player whose turn it is chooses the order in which they are declared. No other actions may be declared in this follow-up chain until the multiple required actions have been declared.
Now for annotation 10: I do understand the obvious case of somebody running into multiple ahunts and also the advanced stuff by zara with the undead enhancers. But how is it in this cased. Although I did not find any reference to this in the rules, I am inclined to believe that Hidden Haven is an action "required to be the first action declared" in the chain of effects following the play of the first creature.
b_took wrote:Therefore, its action would only be applied after the action produced by the passive condition of the Wizardhaven has resolved.
I honestly do not understand this. Annotation 10 reads DECLARED and not RESOLVED. As I read it, Hidden Haven is the first action to be declared in the following chain of effects, but Farmer Maggot's effect could be used in response to that. Thus (last in first out) Farmer Maggot can resolve before Hidden Haven does.
b_took wrote:Unless I've completely screwed up passive conditions yet again. ;)
In my case, erase the "yet again". Its my first attempt to get behind these bastards... I am pretty sure I messed something up, but I still wrote this - hoping that you help me understand passive conditions!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think it is a quite simple.
http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/rules/crf/crf-turn.html#combat wrote:@ Between an attacks declaration and the assigning of the strikes there is time for multiple chains of effect. Thus you could for example make two attempts to cancel the attack or your opponent could use Hoarmurath for an extra strike, recycle him and add another strike. [CoE] %
So.
If a card specifies that an action is to occur as a result of some specific passive condition, this action becomes automatically the first action declared in the chain of effects to immediately follow the chain of effects producing the passive condition. The passive condition must exist when this resulting action is resolved in its own chain of effects, or the action is canceled. Note that actions in the strike sequence follow a different set of rules.
"the chain of effects producing the passive condition" is the chain in which creature/attack card was resolved.
Immediatelly after that chain completes, the actions caused by passive condition (that is here attack against a company at Wizardhaven) are declared. They are special action from Hidden Haven and possible other actions (+1S, + 1P from Rank Upon Rank for example). These declaration may be responded by any other declarations (otherwise legal).

EDIT
domse wrote:I am pretty sure I messed something up,
I would say your understanding of passive condition's stuff is OK.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

If there is an attack at a Wizardhaven,it will trigger the canceling action of the Wizardhaven. It may, at your option, try to trigger Farmer Maggot.

However, Farmer Maggot is not required to be an action in a chain of effects at all. The canceling of the Wizardhaven must be declared, and if you attempt to declare the canceling action of Farmer Maggot in response to this declaration, it will become the first action in the chain of effects following the chain of effects created by the canceling action of the Wizardhaven.

In other words, I'm not sure it is possible for the action produced by an optional passive condition to declare and resolved within the same chain of effects created by a mandatory passive condition.
domse
Ex Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote:If there is an attack at a Wizardhaven,it will trigger the canceling action of the Wizardhaven. It may, at your option, try to trigger Farmer Maggot.

However, Farmer Maggot is not required to be an action in a chain of effects at all. The canceling of the Wizardhaven must be declared, and if you attempt to declare the canceling action of Farmer Maggot in response to this declaration, it will become the first action in the chain of effects following the chain of effects created by the canceling action of the Wizardhaven.

In other words, I'm not sure it is possible for the action produced by an optional passive condition to declare and resolved within the same chain of effects created by a mandatory passive condition.
This of course is a serious concern I have absolutely no clue about. I guess I will mail this to Mikko then...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

@Bandobras Took

I think you are confusing:
"the chain of effects producing the passive condition"
with
the chain of effect in which action caused by active condition is declared (and resolved).

As I understand it "the chain of effects producing the passive condition" would be for example, the chain where Long Winter resolves (and [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] is already in company's site path), or the chain where [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] appears in company's site path (and Long Winter is already in play), or the chain where the two things happens, or the chain where the company loses a ranger (and [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] is already in company's site path and Long Winter is already in play), or chain where all three things happens.
This are the cases where passive condition is produced.

Chain of effect where action "return company to the site of origin" is declared is next to the "the chain of effects producing the passive condition". And "return company to the site of origin" may be freely responded by both (or all) players.

In case that is matter of this topic "return company to the site of origin" is repleaced by "cancel attack". It may be responed by discarding of Farmer Maggot.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Let me put it another way.

The attack triggers the action of the Wizardhaven.

The attack does not trigger the action of Farmer Maggot.

Otherwise, you would be forced to use Farmer Maggot on the first applicable attack.

It is the combination of an attack and your choice that triggers Farmer Maggot.

Therefore, the action of the Wizardhaven declares and resolves first, because the triggering condition exists before the triggering condition of Farmer Maggot can be established.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:It is the combination of an attack and your choice that triggers Farmer Maggot.

Therefore, the action of the Wizardhaven declares and resolves first, because the triggering condition exists before the triggering condition of Farmer Maggot can be established.
Actions may be either declared by players, or they may be triggerd. "declared by players" and "triggerd" precludes mutually.
Farmer Maggot does not set any action that would be triggered by passive condition. It acts just like Athelas. It makes its job and is discarded after use.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Bandobras Took wrote:Therefore, the action of the Wizardhaven declares and resolves first, because the triggering condition exists before the triggering condition of Farmer Maggot can be established.
This is incorrect.

The cancelling effect of the Wizardhaven is declared first, which means it resolves last in its chain of effects (LIFO). Players may respond to the declared action, adding to the chain (stack, if you will) of effects. So using Farmer Maggot to teleport should be perfectly fine, because its declared action will get resolved before the Wizardhaven-canceller (which will fizzle since the passive condition that triggered it no longer exists at the time of resolution).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I like Konrad's explanation better: Farmer Maggot isn't a passive condition at all. ;)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”