Master of Wood, Water or Hill

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Theo

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:22 pm If specifying a number of the cards would be enough reason to treat the cards as a targets, then the effort put in writing the texts of Exhalation of Decay and In Great Wrath is inexplicable/meaningless.
They avoid cancellation by Tom Bombadil/Leaflock because they overrule the default requirement that hazards must be played on a moving company or its site.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Theo

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Theo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:19 pm Bounty of the Hoard does not need to specify a target because it the uses the modal auxiliary "may" to indicate permission for future action. Smoke Rings uses an imperative.
I do not know from where you got "future".
In the game an action may be voluntary or not.
Mere fact that an action is voluntary does not shift the time of its execution.
I'm in total agreement here. I meant "future" with respect to when the card is declared. At that time, a potential for an action has not yet established the action. With an imperative, the action is established at card declaration (pending resolution).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Exhalation of Decay/In Great Wrath/Out of the Black Sky/Fever of Unrest cannot be canceled by Tom Bombadil/Leaflock.
But creatures that attack in result of them may be canceled by Tom Bombadil/Leaflock.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

Definitely for Fever of Unrest.

Are the attacks caused by the other's effects targeting a company or an entity of the company? I don't think that is clearly established, but it seems reasonable. Otherwise, who knows what they attack? Maybe a different company? Maybe themselves? :shock:
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Exhalation of Decay/In Great Wrath/Out of the Black Sky/Fever of Unrest do not create an attacks by themselves. They engage other hazard that attacks.
CDavis7M

I don't think this has been posted before. But I found reference to MWWoH in the TD Player Guide. It also contains errata and clarification that is not present in the online CRF. But I wonder whether the TD PG is outdated.

This language seems to imply that it affects a region of a moving company (not some random region whoknowswhere)Image

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The strange thing is that the card is not restricted to M/H phase.
CDavis7M

Well, I'm looking at other cards in The Dragons specifically and there are some cards that require a particular region during the organization phase. Elf Path, Refuge, and Wonderous Maps. MWWH could set these up.
Theo

Man, this is a great thread...
Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 am 1.
In starter and special movement some elements of company's site path exist only when a company is moving.
Region symbols that do not correlate with any named regions.
Rules Digest 69 wrote:First, I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant that changing something in the site path does not affect cards in play, such as regions and sites. Where identifiable, such things do change in response to the changes in the site path.
Identifiability is an interesting question. One could interpret this to mean that effecting region symbols in starter movement DO affect named regions when there is no ambiguity about which region the symbol derived from. E.g. changing the middle symbol to Hero Ruined Signal Tower will change Cardolan's symbol, but changing the middle symbol to Hero Dunnish Clan-hold will affect no named regions.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That all depends on what "identifiable" means. My rule of thumb is that if you can't key a hazard to the region name, then that region isn't identifiable in the current context. The middle region of a site path would affect those using the same site path -- that's the only way it can be identified as the same region. The rules are set up specifically so that you *can't* base things around the specific regions traveled through when using starter movement. Only the starting and ending region. This applies to beneficial effects as well as detrimental ones.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”