MEBA Relaxed Ringwraith Movement

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

MEBA wrote:instead of using the special rules listed on page 19 of this booklet (or page 59 of the MELE rules)
MEBA 19 and MELE 59 wrote:A Ringwraith may only be in a company with non-Ringwraith characters if he is at a Darkhaven.
· Any ring in the Ringwraith's company at the beginning of the end-of-turn phase is automatically tested. Any ring test in a Ringwraith's company has a modification of -2.
· A Ringwraith may carry items, but such items have no effect.
· Ringwraiths never make corruption checks and corruption hazards may not be played on Ringwraiths.
· A Ringwraith may not use a site path that contains Coastal Seas regions.
· A Ringwraith's company may not use region movement.
· If a body check against a Ringwraith is exactly equal to 7 or 8, the Ringwraith is returned to your hand. You do not lose the game if your Ringwraith is removed in this fashion - you may bring such a Ringwraith back into play the same way you revealed him.
The restriction against Ringwraiths moving to non-Darkhaven sites without a mode card is not there. Do the MEBA rules supersede the MELE rules, as they were written later than the MELE rules and do mention both the coastal sea and region movement limitations?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Found my own answer.
CoE 35 wrote:Clarification regarding the Middle-earth: The Balrog rules booklet:

The ME:BA rulesbook clearly defines what it considers new rules and what
is considered a rules summary. Since this is delineated in the
rulebook, the rules written in the Rules Summary section will not
override those rules in the ME:LE rulebook when conflicts arise, though
the ME:BA rulebook is a newer printing.

The main result of this is that followers of Wizards/Ringwraiths/Balrogs
that aren't "Ringwraith Followers" may be influenced by an opponent,
contrary to the ME:BA rules booklet.
Therefore, still need a mode card! . . . But the other part is interesting. :)
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote: . . . But the other part is interesting. :)
This one was overturned apparently:
CoE Rulings Digest #117 wrote:3. A question has arisen concerning what resources a player may legally attempt to influence away from his opponent. METW, MELE, and MEBA rules books seem to disagree on the scope of what a player may influence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may not attempt to influence away any of the following from your opponent: his avatar, an ally controlled by his avatar, an item controlled by his avatar, or a follower of his avatar.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That's why it's interesting. If you can't influence the followers/allies of an avatar, then it would also appear that Ringwraiths don't need a mode card to move to non-darkhaven sites. :)
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote:That's why it's interesting. If you can't influence the followers/allies of an avatar, then it would also appear that Ringwraiths don't need a mode card to move to non-darkhaven sites. :)
Sorry, I don't get your idea. :( What does influencing have to do with mode cards?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The Balrog rules, which are the only ones to specify influencing followers/allies of an avatar, also have a list of Ringwraith special restrictions.

Mode restrictions are not on the list.

Since the Balrog turn summary currently overrides other rules, Ringwraiths do not need a mode card to move to non-darkhaven site.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Hmmm . . . here it is again, in CoE 51
On a more recent subject: The challenge deck rules booklet is not authorative (just a summary), challenge deck cards are authorative. This is similar to the ruling recently made about the Balrog rules booklet.
Seems these were overturned, but that means that Ringwraiths no longer need modes per the Balrog book . . .
Zakath

I don't see how a ruling on a specific issue means that the MEBA rules summary is suddenly canonical for a totally different, unrelated issue.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's inconsistent to say "In this part of the rules summary, they were changing the rules, but in this part, they weren't." Either the rules summary is meant to override previous rules or it isn't. Tossing a coin whenever a discrepancy comes up just means another set of conflicting information to give to people.
CDavis7M

I stumbled upon here somehow. If anyone ever finds this, know that Ichabod said that the "mode" rules was left out by accident. He mentioned that the summary is indeed a summary in that he was told that it was OK if it only covered 95% of situations. However, the CD/BA rules summary does include many clarifications and changes to the rules, most (all?) derived from prior clarifications. It helps if you follow the rulings to see which are which.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”