Confused about Gates of Morning and Twilight

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
jorrit

Hi all, I have a timing question.

At http://buonanno.org/MECCG/rules/meccgpl ... sjul04.pdf I found this statement:
Gates of Morning
Gates of Morning and Doors of Night discard and cancel environments upon resolution. Therefore, one does not
cancel the other in the same chain of effects.
• For example: Gates and Sun is on table. Doors is played by the hazard player and a second Gates by the
resource player. No matter when the resource player plays Gates he cannot prevent Doors from resolving
and discarding Sun. (Only Twilight can prevent this, because Twilight may be played on cards that have not
yet resolved.)
But I'm confused as to why this is. Gates of Morning says:
Environment. When Gates of Morning is played, all environment hazard cards in play are immediately discarded, and all hazard environment effects are canceled. Cannot be duplicated.
And Twilight says:
Environment. One environment card in play is immediately discarded. This card may also be played as a resource. This card may be played at any time during any player's turn.
So both cards say that when they are played one or more environment hazards cards in play are immeidatelly discarded. So why would Gates of Morning not work for avoiding the Sun to go away and Twilight would?

Greetings,
marcos
Council Member

this is what twilight actuallly says:
Twilight wrote:Environment. One environment card (in play or declared earlier in the same chain of effects) is canceled and discarded. Twilight may also be played as a resource, and may be played at any point during any player's turn.
note the bold part.
jorrit

Ah I was looking at the Twilight text of my old METW cards. Seems this was later fixed.

Thanks. That clarifies things.

moderator: moved here from CoE Rules & Errata

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”