Great Ship

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

The CRF-corrected card text reads
If the company's current site path contains a
coastal sea region and no consecutive non-coastal sea regions ...
I've always pondered between two interpretations:
1) two consecutive coastal sea regions (but regions speaks against this)
2) a site path ending with a coastal sea region (as "no consecutive non-coastal sea regions" does not imply a consecutive region at all).

Which is correct? Thanks!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

1) What you mean by "regions speaks against this"?
2) Company's site path may end with [-me_cs-] but this path may contain consecutive non-coastal sea regions. For example company moving from Rivendell to Isle of The Dead That Live has path [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_cs-], that is not appropriate for Great Ship (two consecutive [-me_wi-]). Path from Old Forest to The Stones is [-me_wi-] [-me_cs-] [-me_wi-] and is appropriate for Great Ship (two [-me_wi-] are not consecutive).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

1) What you mean by "regions speaks against this"?
The plural form of region (so I highlighted the 's' in regions in bold print).

Thanks for the clarification, I'd always misunderstood that "consecutive" relates to the "a coastal sea region" instead of "non coastal sea regions".
kober

CRF wrote:Allows the canceling of one creature or the canceling and discarding of an event that targets the company in question or an entity associated with that company.
I'd like to confirm whether Great Ship can be used to cancel automatic-attacks. If I read the CRF correctly, it can not, right?
rezwits
Council Member

kober wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm
CRF wrote:Allows the canceling of one creature or the canceling and discarding of an event that targets the company in question or an entity associated with that company.
I'd like to confirm whether Great Ship can be used to cancel automatic-attacks. If I read the CRF correctly, it can not, right?
No way! :P
Just sayin'
It's not targeting you, and AA are during the site phase... now an On-Guard that's a different question... :D
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Card Erratum: Add "Tap a character in target company during the organization phase to play Great Ship on that company." Replace "...contains a coastal sea region..." with "...contains a coastal sea region and no consecutive non-coastal sea regions..."
until the end of the turn any character in the company may tap to cancel the effects of one hazard that targets the company.
Automatic-attacks are not a hazard that targets the company.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
kober

How about using Great Ship to cancel the effects of Adunaphel's short-event?
Adunaphel wrote:[...] When tapped, Adûnaphel becomes a short‐event and causes any one character to tap.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

kober wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:56 am How about using Great Ship to cancel the effects of Adunaphel's short-event?
The same for any hazard short-event.

Great Ship's effect cannot target a merely declared cards (text of the card does not contain a clause that is in text of Twilight).
If it comes to removing a hazard short-event's effects after implementing them, I think that it does not work. This is not a canceling. Canceled may be ongoing or declared effects, not implemented.
If Great Ship's effect could remove the effects of Adunaphel's short-event (i.e. if it could to untap a character), then it could also resurrect a character eliminated by cc caused be Weariness of the Heart.
kober

Can it at least cancel the effects of a permanent-event or an (non-automatic) attack?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

If the permanent-event targets the company, or hazard creating the attack targets company, then yes.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am Great Ship's effect cannot target a merely declared cards (text of the card does not contain a clause that is in text of Twilight).
If it comes to removing a hazard short-event's effects after implementing them, I think that it does not work. This is not a canceling. Canceled may be ongoing or declared effects, not implemented.
If Great Ship's effect could remove the effects of Adunaphel's short-event (i.e. if it could to untap a character), then it could also resurrect a character eliminated by cc caused be Weariness of the Heart.
Hmmm, talking about cancelling a Nazgul (short) event. How do think Praise to Elbereth works here?
Praise to Elbereth wrote:For each of your characters in play that you choose to tap, cancel one Nazgûl event or one Nazgûl attack. Additionally, if Doors of Night is in play, characters gain +1 prowess until the end of turn.
I always assumed that it could be played in response to a Nazgul permanent-event becoming a short-event in order to cancel the short-event.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Errata (Cards), Praise to Elbereth wrote:Nazgûl events discarded by Praise to Elbereth have no effect. Which characters are
tapping to discard which events must be declared when Praise to Elbereth is declared.
Nazgûl permanent-events that are targeted by Praise to Elbereth may not be tapped in
response to its play.
Underline mine.

Praise to Elbereth "cancels" Nazgûl events just like Great Ship's effect "cancels" a hazard permanent-event.
It just discards it.
Witch-King of Angmar long-event is only Nazgûl event that may be really canceled (interrupted) by Praise to Elbereth.
Theo

Nothing in the card or errata makes me think it isn't possible for Praise to Elbereth to cancel Nazgul short events.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Nothing in the card or errata makes me think it is possible for Praise to Elbereth to target not resolved events.
Theo

Is your reasoning that the effects from Akhôrahil, Dwar of Waw, Hoarmûrath, Ren, while having an opportunity to be canceled, aren't themselves the Nazgul event that caused the effect? Something can't be canceled after it is resolved?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”