Something Has Slipped

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muzgash

Something Has Slipped
Playable on a company. If a character in the company becomes wounded, the prowess of each character in the company is modified by -2 for the rest of the turn. Discard this card during its organization phase if the company is at a Darkhaven [ [-me_dha-] ]. Cannot be duplicated on a given company.
Two quick questions with this card.

1) If a character in the company that this card is played on becomes wounded and this card is removed afterwards (e.g. Marvel's Told) would the characters in the company still suffer the prowess modification?

2) If multiple characters get wounded in a company with this card on it would the characters in the company receive multiple -2 modifiers?

For 1) I would say that the negative prowess modifier would persist after the removal of the actual card. This is because, unlike cards like Sun and Full of Froth and Rage, which provide a static modifier, the modifier for Something Has Slipped is triggered by an event which creates an effect that states that it lasts until end of turn.

For 2) I'm honestly not sure. The cards uses the phrasing "if a character" rather than "whenever a character" or "when a character" so it's possible that the card designer only intended it to trigger once, but it's pretty ambiguous. Also, I can't think of any cards off the top of my head that can trigger a modifier multiple times, so there's that.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

1: Correct, since a duration for the effect is specified, it does not matter if the card is in play. Something would have to specifically cancel the effect, if such a card exists.

2: The effect will be applied if the triggering action occurs, and is cumulative. Note that a character must "become" wounded; this card does nothing if the character in question is already wounded.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Muzgash

Great. That's definitely the intuitive answer, but I wasn't sure if cumulative effects were handled differently in meccg, as they are in some other games.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Muzgash wrote:This is because, unlike cards like Sun and Full of Froth and Rage, which provide a static modifier, the modifier for Something Has Slipped is triggered by an event which creates an effect that states that it lasts until end of turn.
I would say that Full of Froth and Rage creates action triggered by facing Animal attack, or Spider attack (and other action triggered by defeating such attack).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
kober

Text on the card:
If a character in the company becomes wounded [...]
CRF:
Wounding an ally triggers this card.
Is that CRF entry just a clarification on some existing rule (e.g. allies are considered characters for the purpose of combat), or an addition that expands the original usability?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It is specific to the card in question; wounding an entity is not necessarily a part of combat.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”