Wizard's Trove + White Tree

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muad'Dib

Whats the final interpretation of text of The White Tree + Wizard's Trove? When im fallen player do i ignore the "unique" part or not?What if my opponent already has The White Tree in play, can i play my own copy, or not?
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Final interpretation is you do not ignore the word "Unique." You do get to ignore the part about discarding a Sapling, though.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:Final interpretation is you do not ignore the word "Unique." You do get to ignore the part about discarding a Sapling, though.
I do not have a rights to make any final statements, but I do not think that preserving/not preserving a word "Unique." would make any practical difference.
When an unique card is to be played it is checked whether its other copy is already in play. If it is already in play, the card cannot be played, whether the copy already in play has "Unique." keyword in its text, or not.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Muad'Dib

I still dont understand why Tree is unique when i ignore the text of this card. "Unique" is part of the text, which i ignore according to Wizard's Trove. I dont have to discard sapling but other sentence/word still "works". If i ignore discarding sapling i dont see the point of not ignoring uniqueness.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Mordakai
Council Member

Even if you ignore the "uniqueness" of you copy, you don't ignore the other's. If opponent already played it, when you try to play it, is the other card which prevents you from playing it, not yours. The same way, if you played it, even if you ignore the unique text. if the opponent tries to play it, as it is unique and another one is in play (no matter if unique or not, just another copy in play), he cannot play it.
The only issue is two FW playing both trees...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Mordakai wrote:The only issue is two FW playing both trees...
Is it really issue?
Do you think that text of The White Tree is ignored before it is played according to Wizard's Trove?
Of course a playing conditions of The White Tree are altered, but it does not need to be in result of ignoring text of the card.
A playing conditions is the only part of a card's text which is in effect before the card is played.
Many cards/effects alter a playing conditions of a cards and it does not involve ignoring of the cards text in prior of playing them.
If "Ignore the text of The White Tree" would be in effect in prior, why not "Your Wizardhaven [W] become protected"?
Wizard's Trove wrote:You may play The White Tree at one of your Wizardhavens [W] if Sapling of the White Tree is stored there. Place Wizard's Trove with The White Tree-which is worth full marshalling points. Your Wizardhaven [W] become protected. Ignore the text of The White Tree. Alternatively, you may store one miscellaneous marshalling point card at one of your Wizardhavens [W]. Any reference to the site where the card can normally be stored are transferred instead to the Wizardhaven [W]. Place Wizard's Trove with the stored card-which is worth full marshalling points.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Just a quick clarification: I meant "final" in the sense of "this is the last thing the NetRep has said on the subject."
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

Konrad Klar wrote:
Mordakai wrote:The only issue is two FW playing both trees...
Is it really issue?
Not for me, I always thought of the "Unique" word as another field of the card (as the prowess/body field, mind field, DI field). It just happens to be written in the text box, but it should not be interpreted as part of the text.
In the not released LoRE edition of the game this was going to be solved adding an * to the name of the card, and removing the "Unique" word from the textbox.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think that it is not issue, whether "Unique" is part of card's text, or not.
Unless "Ignore the text of The White Tree" works in prior of playing The White Tree (i.e. removes text of the card in hand).
Then removing "Unique", would allow a second copy to be played with Wizard's Trove.
But "You may play The White Tree at one of your Wizardhavens [W] if Sapling of the White Tree is stored there." is enough to play it under conditions different than its normal.

BTW, according to Lidless Eye, "Unique" belongs to a card's text.
Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, The Cards and Decks, Keywords wrote:Several types of cards are referred to by the keyword included in the first few words of a card's text. For example, the text of a "spirit-magic" card starts with Magic. Spirit-magic'; the text of a "wolf' card starts with Wolves; the text of a "Palantír" starts with Unique. Palantír.

Keywords do not necessarily carry any rules (though some do like Unique and Corruption). Keywords are used to determine if an effect in the game affects a card.
Mordakai
Council Member

Konrad Klar wrote:Unless "Ignore the text of The White Tree" works in prior of playing The White Tree (i.e. removes text of the card in hand).
Then removing "Unique", would allow a second copy to be played with Wizard's Trove.
I buy it :wink:

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”