Refuge Region

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muzgash

Is a Refuge site considered to be in a wilderness region? Similarly, would a Refuge played while moving in Woodland Realm, for instance, be considered in Woodland realm? I'd like the answer to be yes, but I'm thinking it's actually no based on the card text (would be nice for Beasts of the Wood/A Panoply of Wings).

Refuge:
Playable only if you discard an Elf from your hand and only at the end of the organization phase on a company using region cards with the last one being a Wilderness [{w}]. (Play regions face-up.) This card is used as a site card, Free-hold [{F}] (cards drawn: 1/1). The company may only leave this site using region movement. Characters at this site heal as though they were in a haven [{H}]. Discard Refuge when the company moves to a new site.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

You must move using region cards, i.e. play region 1, play region 2, ..., play site card. The last region card layed down ist the region where your site is located. Therefore the Refuge should be played like a normal site card and should be considered to be both in Woodland Realm and in a wilderness region.
Muzgash

I understand that you move using region cards, but no where on the card does it explicitly state that the site is actually in the region you are moving to. Intuitively, it makes sense that you are in that region, but I'm not sure you actually are in game terms. When you move to a regular site the region is printed on the site card, which is how you know what region that site is in when moving with region movement. Refuge has no such explicitly stated region, which is the source of my confusion.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

MELE, Region Movement wrote:REGION MOVEMENT
To use region movement, play a new site card and a series of up to four regions (all face down) that connect the company's current site with the new site (i.e., the company moves). A series of regions "connects" two sites if:
· The current (i.e., site of origin) site is located in the first region, and
· That region card is adjacent to the next region card played, and
· That region card is adjacent to the next region card played, … , and
· Finally, the last region card played is the region that the new site card is located in.
A region is adjacent to another region if and only if each region lists the other region on its card. The only exception to this is that Ûdun is adjacent to Dagorlad for Ringwraith players.
Note the bolded point; Refuge doesn't need to say the site is in the last region card played because the rules already say it. They tell you exactly what region the site will be in by telling you the last region card you are allowed to play.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Muzgash

Thanks, I should of checked out the movement rules before posting.
zirilan

Woodland Realm is a [-me_bl-]
So you cannot play Refuge to this region.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Well, yes, but the question was whether he could use Refuge to stop in Woodland Realm before actually arriving at the last region in his site path.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”