Tom Bombadil's ability

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Mordakai
Council Member

I saw in a GCCG game a few days ago one guy cancelling an "Alone and Unadvised" played on Tom's controlling character the turn before that one. Is that correct?

I ask because, as I understand it, the "Aone and Unadvised" targets a character until it is resolved, and from then on the card is on the character, but not targetting him anymore, and, as far as I know, Tom cancels hazards targetting the company, not played on it. Am I wrong?
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Tap to cancel the effects of one hazard that targets any company moving to a site in: Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur, of The Shire. Discard Tom Bombadil if his company moves to a site that is not in: Arthedain, Cardolan, Rhudaur, or The Shire.
Card Erratum: Change "that targets a company" to "that targets a company, or an entity associated with a company."
Target character makes a corruption check at the end of his movement/hazard phase for each region he moved through.
Just to make sure everybody's on the same page. :)

And now, for the rule:
CRF, Targets wrote:A card that is played on a card continuously targets the card it is on.
This rule applies even if the card in question has no action associated. The normal definition of a target as an entity through which an action is played out is irrelevant.

Alone and Unadvised continuously targets the character it is played on. As long as Tom's other conditions are fulfilled, he may tap to cancel it regardless of when it was played.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Sfan
Ex Council Member

Hello everybody,

let me ask a question at this point: If Tom cancels the effect is "Alone and Unadvised" then discarded or remains it in play?
Normally people tap Tom to cancel a creature (say: Corsairs) that is of course discarded since the effect (men attack) is canceled.
Is a corruption card (say: Lure of Nature) played instead of a creature usually people tap Tom to force the discard of the corruption card.
My understanding is that only the effect (one or more corruption checks) is canceled BUT the corruption card (Lure of Nature) remains in play.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Grishnakh

Hi Stefan,
Tom can cancel the playing of a corruption cards, then the card will discard of course.
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh [-me_eye-]
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Technically, Tom would cancel all effects. That includes the corruption points received, the corruption check triggers, the mechanisms for removal, etc. That means the character would essentially be bearing a blank hazard card.

It's true that the discarding of a hazard in such an instance is an assumption (Tom says nothing about discarding). One could argue that even the natural effect of a permanent event (not being discarded except as indicated on the card) is cancelled, though.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote: And now, for the rule:
CRF, Targets wrote:A card that is played on a card continuously targets the card it is on.
Missed that from the CRF, that of course answers the question without doubt.

Thanks, Bandobras
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”