Direct influence modifiers vs characters and factions

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:
Uruk-Hai wrote:Standard Modifications: Any other Orc Faction (-2; applied only once).
This suggests that without the clarification of "applied only once," there would indeed be a -2 penalty for each Orc faction currently in play.
Right. But what does it prove or disprove? If it would be intended as -2 penalty for each other Orc faction currently in play, how it would be written?
Any other Orc Faction (-2) [repeat it as many times as many are other Orc factions currently in play -1]
?
It is an example of ICE going out of their way to specify that a card that lists only one modifier would normally apply it to each instance where it applies.
Unlike DI, a prowess is not something that could be consumed
Neither is a bonus to DI against a faction consumed by influencing a faction.

Perhaps another way to explain my point of view is that I believe a bonus to influencing a faction is added to unused direct influence, because that is the only kind of direct influence that applies to influencing a faction.

I understand how one can interpret the list as you describe. I do not feel that it is the only way to interpret the list, nor necessarily the correct way.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:It is an example of ICE going out of their way to specify that a card that lists only one modifier would normally apply it to each instance where it applies.
No. It is an example of ICE going out of their way to specify that a card that lists only one modifier would normally apply it from each instance where it applies (if not ; applied only once).

Difference between DI consumed by follower and standard modification applied to influence check is a direction.

Three "other Orc Faction" would cumulatively modify one influence check (if not ; applied only once) - adding bonus/malus to one check. Three Dwarf followers cumulatively consume (subtracts from) one DI (leaving less for influence check).

Still Uruk-Hai does not break the convention "not saving on ink". Another alternative to "Orc Faction (-2; applied only once)", would be listing all, current and future, Orc Factions other than Uruk-Hai with whole list preceded by "-2".
Bandobras Took wrote:Neither is a bonus to DI against a faction consumed by influencing a faction.
For this reason I wrote "Unlike DI, a prowess is not something that could be consumed". Not "is consumed", and not "is always consumed".
My point behind this statement can be expressed: if only existing bonuses to DI would be bonuses against factions (so not consumed), then question "are them two separate bonuses, or is it only one bonus of dual use" would reveal during influencing a factions of multiple type - Orc/Elf facion, Orc/Troll faction etc.
Otherwise an answer to this question would do not matter in practice. Character does not influence more than one faction at the same time, like he does not face more than one strike at the same time.
(OMG).

But in reality a character may influence a faction and control a follower at the same time, so the answer matters for bonuses to DI, more than for bonuses to a prowess.
Bandobras Took wrote:Perhaps another way to explain my point of view is that I believe a bonus to influencing a faction is added to unused direct influence, because that is the only kind of direct influence that applies to influencing a faction.
Do you think that I do not believe so?
I believe that is the only kind of direct influence that applies specifically to influencing a faction.
But I believe that "+3 direct influence against Trolls, Orcs, Troll factions, and Orc factions" is one +3 bonus than can be distributed between two types of consumers (Trolls, Orcs) or/and influence attempts against Trolls, Orcs, Troll factions, and Orc factions.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
dirhaval

A path to a clear truth is explaining the logic in the three Lieutenants.

Angmar is 1DI and 4DI against four entities for either 5 DI or 17 DI.
He is a Scout and least useful of the three skills shared between them.
Is the 17 the offset? I do not know that answer.

Dol Guldur is 3 DI and 2DI restricted for 5 or 11 DI
He is the Sage; the most useful skill.

Minas Morgul is 2 DI and 3 DI restricted for 5 or 14 DI.
He is the Ranger.

So is the benefit of Sage worth a 6 DI swing from the Scout troll?

Now I am on the fence towards separate use after reading Dain II.
If you can just cover some text, would the sentence still be readable?
e.g. +1 DI against Men and Man factions
cover
+1 DI against Men.
or
+1 DI against Man factions.
Covering would not break the sentence, so maybe Dain II has two kinds of bonuses. Geez, this is getting depressing. 20 years and still learning the game.

Also, I can see how the bonus to a faction such as Man is not consumed, but always present. Dain II controlling Erkenbrand has zero DI, but I think still has +1 DI against Man factions. Now, I am switching sides. great. just great. Think about it. Dain II strolls in with Erkenbrand into Beorn's House. The air of authority of Dain II can persuade the Beornings by a tad before Dain II opens his mouth right?

Another example are characters like Imrahil. Does he have in effect a Horn of Anor against Knights of Imrahil?
I know why Glorifindel cannot use Dagger of Westernesse since any weapon he normally has is superior to that dagger.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”