Long dark reach + Monstrosity of diverse shape

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
CDavis7M

Btw, seems like people are confused about how the CRF works. The ruling by term on playing cards does not override card text allowing a card to be played from the discard pile. Such misunderstandings have given rise to numerous posts over the years.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Some people seem capable to bring a card into play both from hand and from other source.
(at the same time)
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

I have no idea what you're talking about. A card is a physical object. It can only be in one place at a time.

A card can be played from the discard pile if some effect allows it.

Otherwise, cards are only played from the player's hand.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

As long a definition of Playing a card will be:

Playing a card is the process of bringing a card from your hand into play.

the playing a card from discard pile would mean: the bringing a card from your hand into play from discard pile.

For the same reason a card that is brought into play not from hand may be considered by some as not played.
A creature may appear in play according to Long Dark reach or Exhalation of Decay, but because it was not brought into play from hand it is not considered played. Thus it may evade an effect of Stealth.

Some consistency, please.
Either "from your hand" is meaningful, or not.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am As long a definition of Playing a card will be:

Playing a card is the process of bringing a card from your hand into play.
This is not THE definition of playing a card. This is merely the standard meaning of "play" unless modified by some other effect.
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am the playing a card from discard pile would mean: the bringing a card from your hand into play from discard pile.
No. Playing means bringing a card into play (i.e., the play area) and vice versa. Playing a card from the discard pile means moving the card from the discard pile into the play area.
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am For the same reason a card that is brought into play not from hand may be considered by some as not played.
A creature may appear in play according to Long Dark reach or Exhalation of Decay, but because it was not brought into play from hand it is not considered played. Thus it may evade an effect of Stealth.
This is wrong. A card played from the discard pile is "played." It is not "played normally" but it is still considered "played" even if through a modification to the normal play-process. Stealth prevents a creature played from the discard pile by Exhalation of Decay because such a creature is still played. Stealth prevents creatures from being played. Stealth does not prevent a creature from being revealed by Long Dark Reach because the creature in Long Dark Reach is not "brought into the play" not is it "played."
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:54 am Some consistency, please.
Either "from your hand" is meaningful, or not.
You're misunderstanding how the CRF works. The phrase "from your hand" is meaningful in situations where "play" is NOT specifically described. If you read the CRF you will see:
CRF wrote:The Turn Sequence and Rulings by Term sections are specifically considered clarifications to the rules, and are therefore overridden by card text that specifically does so.
The Ruling by Term on "Playing a Card" that you quoted (Playing a card is the process of bringing a card from your hand into play) is overridden by Monstrosity of Diverse Shape and Exhalation of Decay.

Oversight of this fundamental concept of the CRF and has led to hundreds of posts over the years.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm No. Playing means bringing a card into play (i.e., the play area) and vice versa.
I do not know what "vice versa" means here.
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm Playing a card from the discard pile means moving the card from the discard pile into the play area.
This is a state of the thing I would wish.
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm Stealth does not prevent a creature from being revealed by Long Dark Reach because the creature in Long Dark Reach is not "brought into the play" not is it "played."
At least some consistency here.
Some consequences of this consistency: nothing prevents from revealing a copy of unique card already in play; a revealed creature not in play may not be normally targeted (by Ready to His Will, for instance); Stealth does not prevent a creature from being revealed.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 pm
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm No. Playing means bringing a card into play (i.e., the play area) and vice versa.
Bringing a card into play means playing the card.

----------
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm Playing a card from the discard pile means moving the card from the discard pile into the play area.
This is a state of the thing I would wish.
This is the state of things.

----------
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm Stealth does not prevent a creature from being revealed by Long Dark Reach because the creature in Long Dark Reach is not "brought into the play" not is it "played."
At least some consistency here.
Do not ask for consistency. "Revealing" is not "playing." The designers have used different words deliberately to create inconsistency.

----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 pm Some consequences of this consistency: nothing prevents from revealing a copy of unique card already in play;
The rules do not prohibit a unique card from being "revealed" if there is the same unique card already in play. Revealing is not playing.

Still, the rules prohibit the effects of a unique card from coming into play if effects of that unique card are already in play.

----------
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 pm a revealed creature not in play may not be normally targeted (by Ready to His Will, for instance);
Of course a card that is not in play may not normally be targeted. But still, the attack of a revealed creature card is in play and may be targeted (by Memories of Old Torture, for instance).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:17 pm Konrad Klar wrote: ↑28 Dec 2020, 20:05
CDavis7M wrote: ↑28 Dec 2020, 18:59
No. Playing means bringing a card into play (i.e., the play area) and vice versa.
Bringing a card into play means playing the card.
I was thinking that "vice versa" here would mean "bringing play into card" :oops:
Thanks for explanation that makes more of sense.
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:17 pm But still, the attack of a revealed creature card is in play and may be targeted (by Memories of Old Torture, for instance).
For no effect, I am suspecting.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:33 pm
CDavis7M wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:17 pm But still, the attack of a revealed creature card is in play and may be targeted (by Memories of Old Torture, for instance).
For no effect, I am suspecting.
For all effects.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”