Using Old Road in sealed game

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Mordakai
Council Member

Old Road:
Allows a character at a Haven [ [-me_ha-] ] to atempt to bring a faction into play. The lenght of the site path from this Haven to the site in which the faction can be played must be two or less (this must be verified by an available site card). The influence checl bla bla...

Underline mine

Well, one of the problems when you play a sealed game is the sites you get in the starter deck and boosters, as for playing a faction you also need its faction "home site". I thought that, if you get an Old Road, you could bypass this problem, as you can play the faction from a Haven, but the underlined sentence makes me doubt. Is "an available site card" forcing you to have the site card in your sites deck, or you can check the site path with any site card even if you didn't get it in your sealed pack?
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Offhand, if you and your opponent agree on a list of spoilers, that should work just as well. The key component is opponent agreement.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

Of course I know the sites, and my opponent also, I'm asking the issue related with legality...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I was extrapolating from this tournament rule:
Using Maps-If standard rules are being used, an appropriate map of the regions of MECCG can be used to depict region movement (instead of using actual region cards). The text of region cards takes precedence over maps, however. Certain regions, which may appear to be adjacent on a map, in fact, are not listed as adjacent on the appropriate region cards (e.g., Rohan and Dagorlad, Cardolan and Lindon, Old Pûkel Gap and Andrast). Such regions are not considered adjacent, even when a map is used for region movement. Maps from the Middle-earth CCG Maps were designed to minimize any discrepancies.
Since you're just worried about the information and not actually playing the site card, it seems parallel to just using a map instead of pulling out each region card.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

It is only (known to me) case where a text of a card checks for availability of other card (not necessarily in play) and at the same time does not cause operation on the other card.
If there are no at least two cases that would be precedence each to other, it is impossible to reconstruct any regularity. Any interpretation of single case will be consistent with (just) itself.
Bandobras extrapolation seems to be sensible.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Mordakai
Council Member

Agree with both of you.
Thanks

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”