Using items

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

This is an academic question: who can use an item?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

To encourage others to present their notions on the topic, I will show two quotes.
Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, Characters & Companies, Ringwraith Effects wrote:A Ringwraith may carry items (including rings) but may not use them (i.e., an item has no effect on a Ringwraith's company or on his attributes and abilities).
Lidless Eye, Using MELE with METW, Deck Construction wrote:Only Ringwraith players may include minion characters, resources, and sites in their decks, while only Wizard players may include hero characters, resources, and sites in their decks.

However, there is an exception to this: a Ringwraith player may use any hero item resource card as if it were a minion item resource card. Similarly, a Wizard player may use any minion item resource card as if it were a hero item resource card. The following apply:

All normal requirements must be met to play the item.
All restrictions to movement still apply.
All bonuses and special abilities are ignored.
The item is only worth half (round up) of its normal marshalling points.
The hero version of a unique item is a manifestation of the same minion version of the item and vice versa.
Underlines mine.

Because what rules say in the question is in swamp-state, any consistent and reliable theory does not need to be 100% compatible with rules (and cannot be).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Indeed, ICE was really, really not careful with the word "use."
White Hand Rules wrote:You may use both hero and minion characters. However, you may only use a character if his mind attribute is 5 or less. All of your non-Orc/Troll characters are considered to be hero characters. You may only use up to two of each non-unique character.
What that means, in light of other clarifications on what is legal to do with FW characters, is anybody's guess.

As for your question, I think the traditional interpretation of "use" has been:

1) Apply an effect which modifies character stats, e.g. weapons;
2) Declare an action made possible by the item; or
3) A card flat-out states "use" e.g. Palantiri;

which seems reasonable and consistent enough to be accepted.

I pointed out in another thread that there is a possible gap between a character using an item and the player using an item.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”