Diffrent manifestations during draft

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muad'Dib

Can i reveal Strider after Aragon was bounced during draft?
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I do not know a rule that explicitly disallows for that.
The revealings that are explicitly forbidden are:
Lidless Eye wrote:A player may not reveal a character that would bring the total Mind of all of his or her starting characters above 20.
Lidless Eye wrote:Each player then selects a second character to reveal (but not a character revealed earlier).
One sure thing is that a cards that have been successfully bounced are in play. They are not a set that is prepared to come to play.
Otherwise a texts of Open to the Summons, or Thrall of the Voice revealed (and not discarded) would not be in effect during draft and part of effects of that cards would be useless.
So all general rules regarding uniqueness and manifestations apply during draft.
However it is not defined whether a card that cannot came into play may be revealed during draft, nor what happens if such card is revealed.

All underlines mine.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CRF wrote:@ If different manifestations of the same character are revealed in the character draft, all copies will bounce. [Van] %
This does not say "revealed at the same time." Taken as it stands, this says that if at any point a different manifestation of the same character is revealed, all manifestations are bounced.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The problem would not exist, if there would be a simple rule:
"A card cannot be revealed during draft if it currently cannot legally came into play."

This rule would not render:
A player may not reveal a character that would bring the total Mind of all of his or her starting characters above 20.
redundant.
Even if to take into account similar, but not identical:
CRF, Turn Sequence, Beginning of the Game wrote:Your starting company can only contain 20 points of unmodified mind.
a hypothetical effect could increase some character's mind and other effect (not hypothetical, e.g. Gandalf's Friend) at the same time could reduce GI required to control the character.
So total unmodified Mind wold not exceed 20, total consumed GI would not exceed 20, but total modified Mind would exceed 20.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

Bandobras Took wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm
CRF wrote:@ If different manifestations of the same character are revealed in the character draft, all copies will bounce. [Van] %
This does not say "revealed at the same time." Taken as it stands, this says that if at any point a different manifestation of the same character is revealed, all manifestations are bounced.
I tracked down what I believe is the original question and response from Van that led to the above summary proliferated by others (underline mine):
Ruling Digest 582 wrote:>During the character draft, first character. I play Strider, my
>opponent plays Aragorn. Do they both bounce, or just my Strider?

They both bounce.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”