Smokerings

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

This is probably another case of that the rules actually say something different from what everybody plays for 20 years.
It should be definitely decided upon by the Net Rep Team. I think there is also something like a "rule of habit" that should weigh heavily before making such a big change.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Shapeshifter wrote:This is probably another case of that the rules actually say something different from what everybody plays for 20 years.
It should be definitely decided upon by the Net Rep Team. I think there is also something like a "rule of habit" that should weigh heavily before making such a big change.
Another item I will add to the list. I agree with your point about heavily considering “rules of habit” prior to making a change. There is not much of a point in making a rule change that nobody wants or follows. Ultimately we should be aligning the rules as closely to what the community wants and will abide by whenever possible.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm not entirely certain I agree with that; community desires don't always create the best possible playing environment. Very often, this is seen in a desire to nerf cards rather than to actually come up with counterstrategies against them.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm I'm not entirely certain I agree with that; community desires don't always create the best possible playing environment. Very often, this is seen in a desire to nerf cards rather than to actually come up with counterstrategies against them.
That is also a very importand thing to consider, I agree.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote:I'm not entirely certain I agree with that; community desires don't always create the best possible playing environment. Very often, this is seen in a desire to nerf cards rather than to actually come up with counterstrategies against them.
A fair point. Clearly, there is much to consider and careful deliberation is needed.

I see 3 options:

1) Rules are clarified and Errata issued which match how the community at large currently plays. With this option, there will be little change on the playing side, but it will eliminate any controversy and debate on the intellectual side. This option could have some unintended consequences as Bandobras Took mentions above which will need to be carefully considered.

2) Rules are clarified and Errata issued which do not match how the community at large currently plays the game. With this option, it is essential for the community to be involved and “buy-in” to the changes. Otherwise there is little point in doing this (which is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post).

3) Nothing is done, and things remain the same as they have been. Most long time established players probably won’t care, but newer players will continue to be frustrated by a game engulfed with complicated and unclear rules, hurting the MECCG game and community in the long term.

In any event, this discussion deserves its own thread and proper forum for vetting, rather than taking place at the bottom of this thread discussing Smoke Rings. Rules Reform information will be forthcoming in the relatively near future.
kober

Shapeshifter wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:53 pmIt should be definitely decided upon by the Net Rep Team.
I second that. Even though Mr. Took's and Mr. Klar's clarifications are sound, let's get a NetRep ruling on this.
Ditto for viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2720
Mordakai
Council Member

dirhaval wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:40 am Remember that resources that have a square shape in upper left of the card are items.
So use Far-sight on those items......including Anduril, Flame of the West.
Are you sure of that? As far as I know, Andúril is a permanent event that gives Item marshalling points, bit it's not an item itself...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

You're correct; the shape in the corner only indicates the type of MPs the card in question gives, not what the card type is. See also Elven Rope.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”