Aiglos

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Mordakai
Council Member

Probably a Native English speaker would not have this kind of problems, but, does Aiglos text mean that, for achieving the Direct Influence bonus, he must be Warrior?
Aiglos wrote: Unique. Playable at any Under-deep Dark-hold or Shadow-hold. Weapon. Warrior only: +2 prowess (+5 if Doors of Night is in play) (to a maximum of 11); +1 body (to a maximum of 10); -2 to target's body; +3 direct influence against Elves and Elf factions
I mean, if Sam Gamgee bears it, does he have any bonus to anything?

Thanks
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The way it's written, it is indeed only a Warrior that gets the bonus.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Mordakai
Council Member

That's what I supposed. Thanks, BT!

A
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

That is what I feel.
At this area ICE does not follow consistently any convention, so there is no evidence that semicolon is used just for enumerating bonuses and not for something else.
High Helm wrote:Unique. Helmet. +2 to direct influence. +1 to body to a maximum of 9. Warrior only: +1 to prowess to a maximum of 8. ...and black was his lofty helm...-LotRI
Here some bonuses are for any bearer (that can use the item), and some for warrior only. Dot, not semicolon is used for enumerating the bonuses.
But at least which bonuses are general, and which are not, is reflected in values presented outside text of the card - +1 to prowess is in parenthesis.
Mechanical Bow wrote:Weapon. Technology. -1 to bearer's body. Warrior only: +2 prowess to a maximum of 8; -1 to the body of any strike its bearer faces if he taps to face the strike. They make no beautiful things, but they make many clever ones...for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them...-Hob
Here a semicolon is used, but bonus to prowess, presented outside text of the card, is not in parenthesis.

For Aiglos that (aside MP and CP) supposedly gives any bonuses only to warrior bearer, bonus to prowess when Doors of Night is in play is presented in parenthesis outside text of the card and bonus to DI in brackets.

By occasion, some fun fact.
A character may bear many weapons, but may use only one at time. A bonuses from weapon are not restricted to "combat only".
Switching from Aiglos (or from Narsil) to Wormsbane may result in sudden lost of control over follower.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm not sure I follow; are you disagreeing with my assessment?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote:That is what I feel.
I'm suspecting that "it is indeed only a Warrior that gets the bonus." but I do not have an evidence that a semicolon is used to separate enumerated "warrior only" bonuses, and that it does not have other meaning.
Because I do not see any consistently respected convention in texts of weapon cards, that would back that feeling.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

There is this: on every item with "Warrior Only" clauses, ICE lists Warrior Only bonuses after general bonuses. If any of the bonuses on Aiglos were meant to be general, they would be listed before the Warrior Only portion. Ancient Black Axe is a good example.
Mordakai
Council Member

That's my thinking too.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”