bane of the ithil stone

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Nerdmeetsyou

how exactly does it work?
what does it all cancel???
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Corruption points for Palantíri are doubled. Automatically cancels any effects that causes a player to search through or look at any portion of a play deck or a discard pile outside of the normal sequence of play. Discard Bane of the Ithil-stone whenever a play deck is exhausted. Cannot be duplicated.
I think that "automatically" is the same as "immediately", not in following chain of effects, i.e. action "cancel of..." is not declared in response to Smoke Rings and similar cards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Nerdmeetsyou

i don't get that now...
can i play it in respone to smoke rings to cancel them?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Yes and succesfully.
Some (non-automatical) canceling actions works in following way:
When passive condition appears in play then action "cancel of..." is declared as first action of next chain of effect.

Example is special ability of FW Isengard:
"Special: If one of your companies is at this site, all attacks against it are canceled."
When attack against one of its player companies at the site is declared, then in next chain of effects this special action is declared.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Is revealing cards from the top of the play deck, e.g. for Revealed to All Watchers, Long Dark Reach, etc., also considered looking through the play deck?

same for Lady of the Golden Wood of course...
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Bandobras Took wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:Bane stops Hero Pallando's ability following NetRep #12, which reveals the top card of the discard pile. It will therefore stop other revealing actions as well.
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017, user Konrad Klar wrote:
Konrad Klar wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Is revealing cards from the top of the play deck, e.g. for Revealed to All Watchers, Long Dark Reach, etc., also considered looking through the play deck?

same for Lady of the Golden Wood of course...
What Revealed to all Watchers has to do with Bane of The Ithil-stone and Lady of the Golden Wood?
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Correct, Revealed to All Watchers does not reveal cards from deck but from hand (and it has revealed in the title).
Luckily I also mentioned Long Dark Reach then...
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, user Bandobras Took wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:In addition to my reply above, both cards state "search through or look at", which I believe should answer your questions.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote:Bane stops Hero Pallando's ability following NetRep #12, which reveals the top card of the discard pile. It will therefore stop other revealing actions as well.
Bandobras Took wrote:In addition to my reply above, both cards state "search through or look at", which I believe should answer your questions.
Why would Bane stop "other revealing actions as well" if the revealing is not being done from the play deck or discard pile? Revealed to All Watchers is revealing your hand, and drawing cards from your play deck.

Is your argument that when you draw cards outside of the normal "hand settling" phases of the game, that you are also now "looking at a portion of your play deck?"

So you would argue that Bane/Lady also prevents Dark Tryst from being played?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comments.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's rather simple: my comments mean I've been misreading Bane for years.

I think I'll spend the next few weeks feeling like a complete idiot now. :oops:

Merry Christmas!
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”