Declaring aligment on tournament sheet

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muad'Dib

I noticed that in my tournaments, when we declare aligment we have four options: hero, fallen wizard, minion, balrog. Im not sure if its legal. According to the rules i know, we should treat balrog as a minion, its the same aligment. So i dont see the point declaring im balrog. Also because it gives opponent advantage during draft. Or maybe there is rulling, which i dont know, and it says we should declare if im balrog?

Also asking fallen wizard player if he plays hero or minion characters, isnt fair. In many cases it helps me to set starting company without worrying. Draft is also part of the game.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Whether the tournament praxis of differentiating between minion and balrog (or between hero and Fallen-wizard) is even regulated, I can't say. But according to meba rules, you're obligated to declare you're a Balrog player before choosing starting companies (i.e. before the Draft phase). So in this respect, the tournament-sheet does not seem very relevant to me.

meba rules:
Declaring that You are a Balrog Player - If you include The Balrog card (the character card with the special reddish background) in your deck or sideboard, you are a "Balrog player." In this case, you must tell your opponent before choosing starting companies.
the same applies to Fallen-wizards.
MEWH rules:
DECLARING THAT YOUR WIZARD IS FALLEN - If you are playing a Fallen-wizard, you must tell your opponent which Fallen-wizard you are playing before choosing starting companies.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
rezwits
Council Member

Muad'Dib wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:01 am ... Draft is also part of the game.
That's what I tried to tell someone too. To me I was like the only thing I have to tell you b4 Draft, is if I am Balrog or a Fallen-wizard (or other Fallen-lords for DC).

But say if I have a Wizard deck, just 1 deck, I should be able to say, I am NOT playing Balrog, and I am NOT playing Fallen-wizard, and obviously I am not playing Sauron.

But that's ALL. The only problem is, he has to know what HE is playing against if he is using a 2-deck option! (advantage).

But all in all the only thing you could say is, if both players are playing only 1-deck. Then unless they are playing Fallen/Balrog, they don't need to declare. So that 1st Character dropped in Draft is HUGE. As it should be...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”