Tapped sites

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Theskyscreams

Good morning everyone.

I am a newbie and have a question.

My wife and I were playing last night and we were using starter movement. She isn't keen on the map yet, she feels it is time consuming.

Anyway,when we play an item at a site, say a major item and I tap the site, does that site go back into my location deck? Or is it used for this game and discarded? I know I have to move next turn first but I mean eventually what happens?

The rules don't mention this, so I am assuming the site goes back to the location deck. All the rules say is you tap the site.

Thank you
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's under the Movement section of the rules:
A company commits to moving by playing a new site card (face down) during its organization phase. A company does not have to move during a given turn (i.e., it does not play a new site card).
At the beginning of its movement/hazard phase, a moving company current site card becomes its site of origin-the company is considered to be en route to its new site card (i.e., the company is moving).
At the end of a moving company's movement/hazard phase (before players return to their hand sizes), its site of origin is removed (discard if tapped; otherwise, return it to your location deck) and the new site card becomes the company's current site card.
So a site that is in a tapped state after you have moved away from it will be discarded and unavailable for use until you exhaust your deck.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Theskyscreams

Thank you!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:18 pm So a site that is in a tapped state after you have moved away from it will be discarded and unavailable for use until you exhaust your deck.
Unless the site is a haven site. Then it will return to location deck.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Kjeld

Theskyscreams wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:13 pm She isn't keen on the map yet, she feels it is time consuming.
On a side note, I would highly recommend downloading and printing one of the "simplified" maps that people have made to assist with region movement. Some good examples here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2904. The one made by I.C.E. is too visually distracting, I find, and difficult to actually use. These are much easier, and have more information directly on the map (e.g. item playability, auto-attacks).
Theskyscreams

Thank you.

The official map is hard to see indeed.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Of special note -

It was mentioned above but in case you didn’t catch it....

The tapped site is discarded after you leave, but once your main play deck is exhausted and you draw your last card, all of your sites which have been previously discarded are now put back into your location deck and are usable again.

kober

Now, there are two companies: A, at a tapped non-Haven site, consist of a sole RW; while B (a couple of Orcs) is at a Haven. During the organization phase, it is declared that A will move to B's Haven, and B will move in the opposite direction, to A's tapped non-Haven site. If B moved first, it would violate company-composition rule at the end of the M/H phase, and would need to return to their site-of-origin. If A moved first, its site-of-origin would be discarded at the end of their M/H phase - what happens to the declared move of B in such a case?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

kober wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 pm If A moved first, its site-of-origin would be discarded at the end of their M/H phase - what happens to the declared move of B in such a case?
Actually it will not happen.
Lidless Eye wrote:Moving Companies to the Same Non-Darkhaven Site

During the organization phase, two or more companies may move to the same non-Darkhaven site, but one of the following cases must apply:

One company may already be at the site. In this case the other companies moving to the site must state that their new site card is already in play (the current site card for the non-moving company). This site card remains in play until at least the end of the turn.
Two or more companies moving to the site must state that the same face down site card is their new site card.
Underline mine.
CRF, Turn Sequence, Organization Phase, Choosing a New Site wrote:Any company may declare as its new site a site already on the table. That site will
remain on the table at least until the end of that company's movement/hazard phase
CRF determines shorter minimal period of presence in play of a site already on the table.

EDIT: removed doubled "a site" in last sentence.
kober

Thank you for the clarification, Konrad.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm
CRF, Turn Sequence, Organization Phase, Choosing a New Site wrote:Any company may declare as its new site a site already on the table. That site will
remain on the table at least until the end of that company's movement/hazard phase
CRF determines shorter minimal period of presence in play of a site already on the table.
So because the CRF says AT LEAST, this ruling doesn't override nor change this:
Lidless Eye wrote:This site card remains in play until at least the end of the turn.
Correct?

In other words.... Company A (RW) could still move first.... followed by company B moving to the RW's previously tapped site which remains in play?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 pm So because the CRF says AT LEAST, this ruling doesn't override nor change this:

Lidless Eye wrote:
This site card remains in play until at least the end of the turn.

Correct?
No. In both cases the phrase at least does not exclude a possibility that a site in question may remain in play longer (for any other reasons).
But the period in which it is guaranteed that a site in question will remain in play is shorter in CRF version.
the Jabberwock wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 pm In other words.... Company A (RW) could still move first.... followed by company B moving to the RW's previously tapped site which remains in play?
Company A may move to the site occupied by company B, then company B may move in opposite direction.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”