Starter Movement and Keying

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

I was playing the other day, and my Minion opponent, was moving from Dol Guldur to Carn Dûm.
I had Bairanax in my deck with Ahunts, specifically for use against Minion Companies.

My opponent announced Starter Movement from Dol Guldur to Carn Dûm.
I said aha great, played some hazards and with Doors of Night in play I dropped Bairanax (Creature Hazard).

My opponent said I couldn't play him. I was like what? He said I couldn't key him to Anduin Vales or any other regions.
I said but you "ARE" moving thru those regions. He said I couldn't "key" to a region if he was using Starter Movement.

Come to find out in the, URD it says:
A Creature maybe played IF:
g. The company’s site of origin or new site are in a region where the creature’s text indicates they may be played [or]
i. The company’s new or current site is mentioned in the creature’s text as a site where the creature may be played.

This is all fine and dandy, but I feel this rule is ridiculous... When someone uses starter movement 95 times out of 100 we know which regions they are hitting, wtf?

Disgruntled Employee
Laters...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Your opponent was correct. Only the starting and ending regions are named in starter movement.

This is one of its benefits, and a reason to use it as opposed to region movement.

Edit: This is also a weakness of being a FW; I'd give a lot to be able to move from the White Towers to Isengard without having to go through some of those named regions. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Ever since players stopped using region cards for movement, starter movement makes little sense. And that was basically the same year metw was released :wink:

Hence in DC games we use the rule that a company is considered moving through all regions, when using starter movement.

People don't like new rules, but actually we got rid of some fiddly ones, like the weird rule about card draws when moving to a Haven.

Since starter movement is still used, e.g. for Ringwraiths and moving to sites more than 4 regions away from a Haven, we did not get rid of it completely.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
rezwits
Council Member

THANK YOU to BOTH of YOU :D. Sounds Good!

Just ugh, you know? You think you got the clutch on Minion Company with a Dragon and NOPE! ugh...

Laters...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm Ever since players stopped using region cards for movement, starter movement makes little sense. And that was basically the same year metw was released :wink:
Starter movement is the only way to move more than four regions in a turn without a movement enhancer, and has the aforementioned safety against things being keyed by region name, so sufficient sense is made from a strategic perspective, if nothing else. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”