Prisoner cards

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Flies and Spiders writes: Playable on a character facing a strike from a Spider attack. If the strike is successful, ...

Spells of the Barrow-wights writes: Playable on a character facing an Undead strike. If the strike is successful, ...
Both these cards are played on a character. Neither of them mention what happens if the strike is not successful. I couldn't find anything on them in the CRF. One would assume they are discarded when the strike is not successful, but what backs that up?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

(music intro)

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

(/music)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

...and rule that support the tradition:
Dark Minions, Taking Prisoners, Rescue and the Rescue-attack wrote:At any point outside of the initial attack or conditions by which a
hazard host is played, the hazard host is discarded if there are no imprisoned
characters are under it. Whenever, the hazard host is discarded, the rescue site always
returns to the location deck.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

@Konrad:

Spoilsport. :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Great, thanks guys!

though it seems I should have been able to look that up myself. :oops:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I have a question about the Prisoner cards myself:

The Dark Minions rulebook states:
To rescue a character, the company must be at the rescue site during the site phase and must face any
automatic-attacks at the site as normal
. The site can be tapped or untapped. The company must next face
any rescue-attacks at the site. Rescue-attacks are not considered automatic-attacks.
bold mine

It then goes on to say:
If he has one available, a player must use a site from his own location deck to rescue imprisoned
characters. If he does not have the site or if the site is in his discard pile, the copy with the hazard
host can be used to show the rescuing company’s movement (if the rescue attempt is successful, the
site would remain in play until the company leaves the site). In this case the site is not available for the
rescuing player to use for any purpose (other than to rescue prisoners and play one minor item) until
the company leaves the site and his play deck is exhausted.
So if the resource player does not have the site available to play himself (or he claims not to have it available), does he still face the auto-attacks? Let's say the resource player is a Hero player and one of his characters is taken prisoner at Minas Morgul. His opponent is playing Minion alignment. When it comes time for him to make the rescue attempt, the Hero player doesn't have a copy of Minas Morgul to play (or claims he doesn't), so the Minion Darkhaven version is used instead. So this allows the Hero player to avoid the auto-attack at Minas Morgul of Orcs: 3 strikes at 8 prowess? Or how would this work?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:33 am When it comes time for him to make the rescue attempt, the Hero player doesn't have a copy of Minas Morgul to play (or claims he doesn't), so the Minion Darkhaven version is used instead. So this allows the Hero player to avoid the auto-attack at Minas Morgul of Orcs: 3 strikes at 8 prowess?
Yes.
Conversely if a minion player does not have The Under-Leas in its Location Deck his company may face With-king of Angmar additional AA of copy provided by hero player.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
dirhaval

I looked for a while on this forum for the best thread to post this response about Flies & Spiders.

I hold that the card text as originally written is correct. The hazard is played on the attack allowing
all of the strikes to capture a victim. Why not? 13 dwarves and a hobbit were captured.
The best I could do is 9 strikes with (Lesser Spiders, wake of war, Worm's stench x3, Hoarmurath of Dir)
at a minimum of 5 against the hazard limit) Mouth of Sauron could fetch the nazgul again.

Troll-purse can capture with each strike. Flies & Spiders is different, weaker, that allows the prisoner a
chance to escape. IMHO.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I hold that the card text as originally written is correct. The hazard is played on the attack allowing all of the strikes to capture a victim.
Playable on a character facing a Spider attack. If the strike is successful, target character is not harmed and is taken prisoner

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”