Timing & Resolution of Resource Permanent Events using Untapping Effects

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Timing & Resolution of Resource Permanent Events using Untapping Effects

Post by the Jabberwock » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:39 pm

There are many different resource permanent events which state a company must face an attack (or multiple attacks), followed by the statement that a character must tap after the attack(s) or the permanent event is discarded.

I believe that there is time after finishing the attack/strike sequence to declare other actions PRIOR to having to meet the tapping requirement on the card. Is this correct?

ie. I may face attacks, then declare use of a Cram OR play And Forth He Hastened, etc. in order to untap a character to meet the above requirement?

Thanks

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Re: Timing & Resolution of Resource Permanent Events using Untapping Effects

Post by Konrad Klar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 pm

CRF, Rulings by Term, Timing wrote:Annotation 24: If a card specifies that more than one action occurs when the card
itself is resolved in a chain of effects, all of these actions are to be resolved in the
card's chain of effects uninterrupted and in the order listed on the card. No actions
may be declared to occur between these multiple actions.

The actions listed on the card are considered to have been declared in the reverse
order as they are printed.
(amendment to original version of Annotation 24): As an exception, if one of the
effects of a card is an attack, cards may be played that cancel the attack, cancel one of
its strikes, or that otherwise are playable during the strike sequence--see Annotation
18 (Turn Sequence, Movement/ Hazard Phase, Combat, Strike Sequence).
Underline mine.

There is an errata for the rule (in force since 2012), but it is unrelated to the question.
So e.g. there is no time after facing the attack from Rescue Prisoners to us Cram or play And Forth He Hastened, etc.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions”