New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

While I'm at it, how about this... If I am playing with eleven full on hazard creatures (cave drake, assassin, etc), and I have ONE Nazgul, does that one Nazgul round up to count as the twelfth creature--the same way hobbits round up in company size, or is this not the case?

And this is going to sound weird, but if my hazard limit is three, and my opponent plays one hazard against me, is it correct to then say the hazard limit is now two? Or is it correct to say that the hazard limit remains three, and one hazard has been played?
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 am While I'm at it, how about this... If I am playing with eleven full on hazard creatures (cave drake, assassin, etc), and I have ONE Nazgul, does that one Nazgul round up to count as the twelfth creature--the same way hobbits round up in company size, or is this not the case?
No rounding up. If you have 11 normal hazard creatures, you would need 2 more that count as half to make the 12.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 am And this is going to sound weird, but if my hazard limit is three, and my opponent plays one hazard against me, is it correct to then say the hazard limit is now two? Or is it correct to say that the hazard limit remains three, and one hazard has been played?
The hazard limit (once set) remains the same, unless some effect changes it (eg. Power Built By Waiting). So you just keep track of how many hazards have been declared and compare that # to the hazard limit.
CDavis7M

Is there any reason why My Precious and Lobelia S.B. have corruption modifiers as Hazard-only agents? I don't see any interactions with agent corruption.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

My guess is they put it in there to hedge their bets if it ever came up.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Can Many Sorrows Befall be used to cancel Twilight (when Twilight is played as a resource)?
Theo

Yes, assuming opponent plays Twilight as a resource during their own M/H phase and the hazard limit has not yet been reached.

Discussion of whether they can avoid this by playing as a hazard during their own M/H phase: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... =16&t=3706
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
DuncanNeeds2Shave

1. If my opponent is at an untapped Minas Tirith, he departs for Edoras, but I use Drowning Seas to bounce him back to Minas Tirith, is there any reason why he, during the site phase, may not attempt to play the faction Tower Guard of Minas Tirith since the site is untapped?

2. My company's hazard limit is 2. My opponent plays Fell Beast, followed by In Great Wrath. Is this a legal play since Fell Beast specifies that a Nazgul attack must be the first action in the ensuing chain of effects (while In Great Wrath triggers a Nazgul attack, it in and of itself is not a Nazgul attack)? When this occurred, I played a Many Turns and Doublings in conjunction with Gates of Morning to reduce my hazard limit to 1, thereby nullifying his In Great Wrath. In which case, Fell Beast is returned to his hand?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

(1)
CRF, Rrrata (Rules) wrote:If a company returns to its site of origin, it may do nothing during its site phase. A
company failing it's underdeeps movement roll is not affected by this rule.
(2)
This is not legal.

In Great Wrath potentially creates an immediate attack. As such it cannot be played in response.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

the real question is how did you play Drowning Seas without a [-me_cs-] in the site path?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CRF, Rulings by Term, Active Condtions wrote:If an "alternative" or "additional" effect does not have any "playable ..." conditions,
then the "playable on ..." conditions from the primary effect of the card apply. The
following cards are exceptions to this rule:
• Gloom
• Good Sense Revolts
• Half an Eye Open
• Heedless Revelry
• Here is a Snake
• In the Name of Mordor
• Inner Cunning
• Nobody's Friend
• Withdrawn to Mordor
• Wolf-riders
Vastor Peredhil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 am the real question is how did you play Drowning Seas without a [-me_cs-] in the site path?
So no.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Konrad Klar, I appreciate your response, but your explanation of my second question is a bit muddy. Can you elaborate: what exactly isn't legal and why? Thanks.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

My bad.
If In Great Wrath has been played not in response to Fell Beast, but as first action of ensuing chain of effects, it is legal.
CRF, Errata (Cards), Fell Beast wrote:This card can be played and resolved before any Nazgûl is played with it. A Nazgûl
must be played as the first declared action in the chain of effects following the
resolution of Fell Beast, or else this card is returned to its player's hand. This card can
be played on an existing Nazgûl attack, but the extra playability this card provides
would not apply.
So then Fell Beast is returned to hand whether In Great Wrath resolves or not.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Thank you... Here's some more!

1. While the effects of A Short Rest are contingent on the number of regions in a company's site path, and has an erratum to prevent misuse or unintended use by a player moving in the under-deeps, a similar card Washed And Refreshed, with effects also contingent on number of regions in a company's site path, has no such erratum to regulate when it can be used. If I play Washed and Refreshed during my organization phase on a company before it moves between two under-deeps sites, may I then untap up to four characters in that company, seeing as there is no erratum to prevent such a play? Or is there another rule that I'm missing.

2. Vein of Arda, like some other similar cards (the windlord found me), causes a character to tap when it is played, and that character "may not untap until Vein of Arda is stored at a haven." If I have Bilbo tap to play a Vein of Arda, may I use cards such as Hundreds of Butterflies, Hobbit Strength, or And Forth He Hastened if applicable to (unnaturally) untap Bilbo before he stores the Vein at a haven? If he may indeed be untapped in this way, if he subsequently taps again for some reason, does he still remain tapped until either of the two aforementioned possibilities occur (storing the Vein or using another card to untap him) or is the "does not untap" effect nullified?

3. Say I have Elrond and Thrain II in play under general influence (10+9 mind= 19 general influence), and Alatar in play at Rivendell with Thranduil (9 mind) as a follower. If Elrond and Thrain II are attacked by a hazard creature, and I use Alatar's teleport ability, does Thranduil get to come along for the ride and join up with Elrond and Thrain II or does he remain behind in Rivendell? Assuming he is left behind, I suddenly have an issue to clear up with general influence (a total of 10+9+9 mind=28 general influence). At what point must I reorganize my companies so that my general influence used does not exceed the maximum? Do I do it at the end of the phase during which the hazard creature attack occurred? Or the end of my turn? Or the end of my next organization phase? Or am I SOL and have to discard someone?
Theo

1) A company needs to have a site path to have something to compare for Washed and Refreshed. MEDM: "A company moving to and/or from an Under-deeps site has no site path."

2) CRF: "Nothing may untap a character who is the subject of an effect that states the character may not untap."

3) Exceeded GI must only be reconciled at the end of your Organization phases. Furthermore, Thranduil is considered to not use GI until your next Org phase anyway. CRF: "A character removed from the control of direct influence outside the organization phase does not need to be controlled by general influence until that player's next organization phase."
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 am 1) A company needs to have a site path to have something to compare for Washed and Refreshed. MEDM: "A company moving to and/or from an Under-deeps site has no site path."
I would say that a company needs some number of regions in its site path. Mere site path (like that created by Forod) is not sufficient.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”