New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

1. Some hazard creatures state "each character faces one strikes at x"

Neeker Beekers for example are "animals," and each character faces one strike at 7. If I have Wake of War in play--which adds +1 to prowess and +1 to strikes of animal attacks--does then Neeker Beekers create two strikes at each character with a prowess of 8? This may seem intuitively YES, but the way the card is structured creates doubt.

2. If I control Galadriel, may my opponent play Nenya during his turn to assure success to a corruption check of one of his characters, and cause Galadriel to make a corruption check? I went back and skimmed the rules, but there is so much. If NO, please cite specific rule. My opponent is tricky.
Theo

1)
MELE Attacks & Strikes wrote:Note: Ignore effects that modify the number of strikes for an attack that states that “every character in the target company faces one strike” (unless an effect reduces the number of strikes to a specific number, e.g., Veils of Shadow).
2) No. Well... contentious.
CRF wrote:Your opponent's resources may be the active conditions for your resources, but may not be the targets for your resources.
However, there is some debate about whether "___ only" skill cards should require targeting the ____. See lengthy discussion in this ARV proposal: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3683

Furthermore, "Galadriel only" does not make Nenya a skill card, which is somewhat discussed in this ARV proposal: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3612

Thus in the contentious state it does seem possible to play Nenya on an opposing Galadriel; if your opponent is insisting that this is how it should be, my advice is find someone else to play with. :roll:
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The corruption check of Nenya targets Galadriel, so you can't play it using your opponent's Galadriel.

Thank heaven the CRF didn't say "resource cards," or we'd need another three or four pages of debate. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

In a related case, Gollum's Fate gets to be special. "This card is considered to target both The One Ring and Gollum. This means it cannot be played on your opponent's The One Ring or Gollum."

Duncan, are you playing with the same guy that wants to reduce Burats mind while he has Tom as a trophy.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

CDavis7M wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:14 pm In a related case, Gollum's Fate gets to be special. "This card is considered to target both The One Ring and Gollum. This means it cannot be played on your opponent's The One Ring or Gollum."

Duncan, are you playing with the same guy that wants to reduce Burats mind while he has Tom as a trophy.
No, I don't know who that is, nor am I familiar with "trophy" rules, as I've never played anything but wizard vs. wizard. Why? Is that an "are you serious" kind of scenario? My opponent just enjoys finding loopholes and glitches in games (especially video games) and exploiting them. It's part of the reason why this thread is so long.
CDavis7M

Hah yeah. Someone else tried to pull that "loophole" stunt. This thread is a good resource. Keep it up.
Theo

Bandobras Took wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:42 pm The corruption check of Nenya targets Galadriel, so you can't play it using your opponent's Galadriel.
I think the other reference Bandobras is going for is:
CRF wrote:A target is an entity that an action is played out through. Enitities are only targets of an action if the action specifies those entities by number and type. Note that "the foo" counts as specifying one "foo."
Does "Galadriel" count as specifying an entity "by number and type"? Eh...
If only it had been "The Galadriel". But this is probably implied. :roll:
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I think it is pretty definitive that a player cannot play Nenya as a resource on an opponent's Galadriel. It's the same concept as playing spells using an opponent's wizard. Oh, you have Pallando in play at Rivendell, and my wizard has not yet been revealed? I have a company at Rivendell possessing a gold ring item? I'll just play Wizard's Test thanks to YOUR wizard to test that gold ring item, and see if I turn up The One Ring! Thanks for the help, Pallando! It's very obviously against the spirit of the game, and in my mind quite clearly contradicts the rules explanations you've all cited.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Align Palantir reads: Sage only if a Palantir is in his company. Keep with the Palantir; bearer now has the ability to use the Palantir. Discard the Palantir if the company carrying the Palantir moves.

If Elladan is in a company with Elrond(sage), and Elladan (not Elrond) has a Palantir, may his controller play Align Palantir on Elladan's Palantir, and then may Elladan use the Palantir?

A side note: I'm thinking about making an index for this thread since it is so big; it must be a real pain for anyone to skim through everything. Anyone have any suggestions or help to offer?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm If Elladan is in a company with Elrond(sage), and Elladan (not Elrond) has a Palantir, may his controller play Align Palantir on Elladan's Palantir, and then may Elladan use the Palantir?
Yes.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm A side note: I'm thinking about making an index for this thread since it is so big; it must be a real pain for anyone to skim through everything. Anyone have any suggestions or help to offer?
Too late.

"Search" function is for users, not vice versa.
If some question has been answered years ago and respective thread with respective title is not present on two or three pages of sub-forum, this means that the question (and answer) does not exist in consciousness of community and asking it again is not abuse.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Konrad, I meant that I intend to organize this THREAD, meaning "New to the game and have some questions," not the forum. I think it would just be easier for everyone to see a numbered list of all the questions with page numbers and brief descriptions at the top of the first post.
CDavis7M

Duncan, if you have the time, I would appreciate it and I'm sure others would appreciate it too. Lots of good information in this thread. Thanks to all of the responders.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Still working on the index...

Minion agents in Wizard decks count as half a hazard creature for the purposes of deck building, although they are not hazard creatures.

(xx) Do hazard events such as Rank Upon Rank or Chill Them With Fear affect the prowess and number of strikes of attacking minion agents? For example, if Chill Them With fear is in play, and Golodhros attacks as an agent, does his attack receive +2 prowess and +2 strikes?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Rank upon Rank by its text does not affect agent's attacks.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm For example, if Chill Them With fear is in play, and Golodhros attacks as an agent, does his attack receive +2 prowess and +2 strikes?
Yes.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”