New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

See Page 10 for questions 1-5!

6. Twilight can be played as both a resource or a hazard, and at any phase of the game of either player's turn. (Right?) So if my hazard limit is two, and my opponent plays a doors of night > drowning seas, and I twilight the doors of night, can he still play a twilight to cancel my twilight claiming its a resource? Or is it always considered a hazard during movement/hazard phases and must not exceed the hazard limit?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 am 1. If Gandalf is tapped, and Narya is played, does Gandalf untap?
Narya (if successfully resolved) untaps Gandalf too.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 am 2. If my opponent attempts to tap Elrond (sage/diplomat) to play an item at a site, may I reveal Gnaw With Words on guard to tap Elrond (if applicable), and thereby prevent him from playing an item with Elrond?
No.
CRF, Turn Sequence, Site Phase, On-Guard Cards wrote:A card cannot be revealed that:
• Returns a company to its site of origin
• Taps a company's site
• Potentially removes a character from a company, besides combat or corruption
checks
• Forces a company to do nothing during its site phase
• Directly taps a character in the company
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 am 3. If Galadriel is at Lorien, and I move to Lorien with Elrond, and then I play Bridge at the end of my movement/hazard phase, is there a site phase before I move on to my next movement/hazard phase and site? If NOT, before I move on from Lorien, may I play Three Golden Hairs on Elrond, seeing he does visit Lorien, or must he stay at Lorien to do so? Did I word that clearly?
There is no site phase between company's M/H phases.
There are various opinions in the topic "when exactly a company that moved is at site".
But even if Elrond's company would be by short moment at Lorien, nothing may be declared between M/H phases.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 am 4. If The Balance of Things comes into play, and my wizard has The Emerald of the Mariner, may I choose to double the Emerald's +1 "anti-corruption" corruption points? Or is that not allowed?
Modifier to cc cannot be doubled. Zero CP that The Emerald of the Mariner gives may be doubled.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 am 5. I need clarity on "Unique" events. Many Sorrows Befall, The Balance of Things, Favor of the Valar...if one of these cards has been played, is there any scenario later in the game when they can be played again? It is my current understanding that once a card like Many Sorrows Befall is played, afterward it is gone from the game for good. But it just feels wrong.
"Unique" keyword means that only one copy of a card with it may be currently in play and that only one copy of such card may be included in play deck and sideboard and pool combined.
Unique cards in out of play pile count as being in play for the purposes.
Favor of the Valar is removed from game, according to its text (for good). Many Sorrows Befall is not (why it would be)?
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:37 am 6. Twilight can be played as both a resource or a hazard, and at any phase of the game of either player's turn. (Right?) So if my hazard limit is two, and my opponent plays a doors of night > drowning seas, and I twilight the doors of night, can he still play a twilight to cancel my twilight claiming its a resource? Or is it always considered a hazard during movement/hazard phases and must not exceed the hazard limit?
He can still play Twilight as a resource.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

6. So on this topic, if I have Gates of Morning in play, and my opponent uses a Twilight to cancel my Gates of Morning during my movement hazard phase, shouldn't that count against the hazard limit since he would be using it to trip me up regardless of whether he says it's played as a resource or not?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:23 pm 6. So on this topic, if I have Gates of Morning in play, and my opponent uses a Twilight to cancel my Gates of Morning during my movement hazard phase, shouldn't that count against the hazard limit since he would be using it to trip me up regardless of whether he says it's played as a resource or not?
1. If there are multiple ways of playing a card, a player must state at declaration, which of the methods is being used (e.g. whether he is playing a Nazgûl card as a creature, or as a permanent-event; if as a creature, to what region/region symbol/site it is keyed).
2. There are contradicting information:
Lidless Eye wrote:Clarification: The card Twilight, is an exception to this rule - it can be played at anytime, either as a resource or as a hazard (it does not count against the hazard limit). Certain other cards specifically state when they may be played as exceptions.
However text of Twilight does not say that the card does not count against a hazard limit.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Yes, that was exactly what I was confused about. It seems like Twilight should have an errata that says "Does not count against the hazard limit," otherwise in what scenario would any player possibly ever want to use up a hazard against his opponent with Twilight if he doesn't have to. In which case, Twilight would NEVER end up being used as a hazard, so why is it printed as one?

It seems only fair to me that if Twilight is played by the hazard player DURING his opponent's movement hazard phase, it SHOULD count against the hazard limit no matter what.
CDavis7M

Duncan, I think the rule posted above is directly from the Lidless Eye rule book. Which makes sense with the LE wording on the card. Of course, this could be made more clear as you ask.

I think of the rule as "the hazard player may play Twilight as a resource during their opponent's movement/hazard phase." And resources don't count against the hazard limit (obviously).

As for "twilight is a hazard otherwise", I believe twilight is still a hazard for using Unexpected Outpost (but Smoke Rings doesn't work on it).

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

DuncanNeeds2Shave

It just seems silly that it is a hazard at all if THAT is the only practical reason.

Here's a question: Riddling Talk. Can it be played against automatic-attacks or attacks like those generated by cards like Tidings of Bold Spies? The card itself seems to imply that it is targeted at hazard creatures cards, but it seems like it can cancel any attack. Just need clarity. And I assume that the "hazard limit is reduced by 3" has no minimum?
Theo

It can be played against any attack, but won't actually cancel non-creature attacks because the parenthetical canceling seems to depend on being able to discard the creature card. Previous discussion. It would still reduce the hazard limit when played on a Tidings of Bold Spies attack.

Hazard limit can be reduced below the initial 2 minimum. It doesn't usually come up, but I'd say hazard limit cannot be negative (a negative "number of hazards that may be played" is not meaningful).
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Negative HL requires to be increased to at least 1, to allow to declare actions that count against HL.

Hazard limit is not equal to the "number of hazards that may be played". Some hazards do not count against HL, some actions that are not hazard count against HL.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I strongly dislike the ruling of Riddling Talk against automatic attacks. Konrad Klar hypothesized in the "previous discussion" what I think Riddling Talk should say: the attack is canceled and the creatureʹs card is discarded (all of its [remaining] attacks are cancelled). I strongly believe that the purpose of this card was to simulate a character talking his way out of getting attacked. I don't see why a creature attack is any more prone to being fooled than an automatic attack. Like SO many other cards, the inconsistency in the wording in the text, I truly believe it was an oversight on the part of the designers. NEVERTHELESS, the card says what it says. However, if I weren't a newbie, I would rule its ambiguous and can be interpreted either way. I hope that's not presumptuous of me to say.

1. Angmar Arises, which allows "any creature that can be keyed to a [-me_sl-] " to be keyed to Rhudaur, among other regions, does it allow a Wild Fell Beast, which requires [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] , to be keyed to Rhudaur? Wild Fell Beasts are normally keyed to two [-me_sl-] , yes but...Dagorlad and Brown Lands for example. I can say: "It IS keyed to A [-me_sl-] . This ONE [-me_sl-] and that ONE [-me_sl-] , and therefore consequently both." I feel like it should be playable.

2. Palantir of Osgiliath states: if the bearer's company is ever below 4 characters and the company moves, discard. I had previously interpreted this as "if the bearer's company size is ever below 4 characters," but that is not what it says. While characters determine company size, allies are characters too. Would a company of 3 characters and one ally constitute a company of 4 characters that has a size of 3, and thereby exempt the controller from discarding the Palantir if he moves?
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I have no idea why my post is all in italics. :?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:07 pm I have no idea why my post is all in italics. :?

Code: Select all

[i]should[i] say:
is the cause.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm 1. Angmar Arises, which allows "any creature that can be keyed to a [-me_sl-] " to be keyed to Rhudaur, among other regions, does it allow a Wild Fell Beast, which requires [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] , to be keyed to Rhudaur? Wild Fell Beasts are normally keyed to two [-me_sl-] , yes but...Dagorlad and Brown Lands for example. I can say: "It IS keyed to A [-me_sl-] . This ONE [-me_sl-] and that ONE [-me_sl-] , and therefore consequently both." I feel like it should be playable.
No.
Creature cannot be keyed to two regions at the same time, likewise Ambusher cannot be keyed to [-me_fd-] and [-me_bl-] at the same time.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm 2. Palantir of Osgiliath states: if the bearer's company is ever below 4 characters and the company moves, discard. I had previously interpreted this as "if the bearer's company size is ever below 4 characters," but that is not what it says. While characters determine company size, allies are characters too. Would a company of 3 characters and one ally constitute a company of 4 characters that has a size of 3, and thereby exempt the controller from discarding the Palantir if he moves?
" While characters determine company size, allies are characters too." is not true.
Allies count as characters for purposes of combat and using skills.
BTW. Palantir of Osgiliath checks for number of characters in company, not for company's size.
It is not discarded when a moving company contains four Hobbits, even if its size is two.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I'm not sure my question about Angmar Arises and the Wild Fell Beast was worded so well. I meant more to exemplify how I can say "yes, normally Wild Fell Beast must be keyed to [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] , but if requires [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] in the site path to be played, it must then be keyed to ONE of them, which is all that it requires to be played at Rhudaur while Angmar Arises is in play. Doesn't it have to be keyed to the [-me_sl-] ? It just requires two in the site path in such instances to be played? Otherwise what is it ever keyed to?

Nevertheless, is the answer still "if Angmar Arises is in play, Wild Fell Beast cannot be played at Rhudaur."?? I would think that if it CANT, it would be because it exempts itself with its own prerequisite "Two [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] in the site path are required."
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Wild Fell Beast if keyed to [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] is considered keyed to [-me_sl-] , but is not considered keyed to a [-me_sl-].
The article "a" is meaningful. It indicates single instance of region symbol.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

For the same reason Shadow-cloak cannot be tapped to cancel a strike from attack of creature keyed to [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] .

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”