Bert, Tom, William keyed to "the same site path"

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bert (Bûrat) wrote:Unique. Troll. One strike. If played after William or Tom and if keyed to the same site path against the same company, each character wounded by Bert must discard all non-special items he bears. The trolls had just decided to roast the dwarves now and eat them later-that was Bert's idea.-Hob
Tom (Tûma) wrote:Unique. Troll. One strike. If played after Bert or William and if keyed to the same site path against the same company, each character wounded by Tom must discard all non-special items he bears. Two Wildernesses [w] in the site path are required.
William (Wûluag) wrote:Unique. Troll. One strike. If played after Bert or Tom and if keyed to the same site path against the same company, each character wounded by William must discard all non-special items he bears. William choked. 'Shut yer mouth!' he said as soon as he could. 'Yer can't expect folks to stop here for ever just to be et by you and Bert...'-Hob
Bert (Bûrat) may be keyed to: [-me_wi-] [-me_sl-] [-me_sh-]
Tom (Tûma) may be keyed to: [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-]
William (Wûluag) may be keyed to: [-me_wi-] [-me_sl-] [-me_dd-] [-me_sh-] [-me_dh-]

Is it normally possible to play Tom (Tûma) keyed to the same path as Bert (Bûrat), or William (Wûluag)?
Does "keyed to the same site path" mean the same as "keyed to the same region symbol(s)"?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Kjeld

To give a concrete example, suppose a company were traveling from Blue Mountain Dwarf-hold to Mount Gundabad. The site path could be [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_sl-] [-me_dd-]. If the hazard player keyed Tom to [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-], Bert to [-me_sl-], and William to [-me_dd-], then wouldn't all three be keyed to (regions in) the same site path, but not to the same region symbol(s)? Thus there would seem to be a distinction between the phrases in your question, suggesting the answer is no.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

OK.
What if between playing Bert (keyed to [-me_sl-] and Tom (keyed to [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-]) one [-me_wi-] in path will be changed to (strictly "will be treated as") [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] in result of Withered Lands?
William (keyed to [-me_sl-]) will be considered to be keyed to not the same path as Bert?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It is still the same site path even if there is a modification.

Likewise, a character under Memories Stolen is still the same character even though their current skills have been changed.

Compare also cards such as Chance of Being Lost or Winds of Wrath, which are a replacement rather than a modification.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”