Theoretically Infinite Thralls

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Instead of a normal character, during your organization phase you may bring into play one character (including a minion agent) with up to a 6 mind. Place this card with the character. -1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. Such a character may also be in your starting company.
Nothing disables the ability of Thrall of the Voice once it is placed on a character. That means that during your organization phase, you may always opt to bring in one character instead of a normal character, moving Thrall to the new character played.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Is not the word "one" sufficient limiter?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In my first organization phase, I use the ability to play one character, replacing the opportunity to play a normal character.

Next organization phase, I have an opportunity to play a normal character. According to the text of Thrall of the Voice, I can instead play one character (including an agent) with up to 6 mind. Thrall is then placed on the character just played.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Would:

"Instead of a one normal character, during your organization phase you may bring into play one character (including a minion agent) with up to a 6 mind. Place this card with the character. -1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. Such a character may also be in your starting company."

change the meaning?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That doesn't change the meaning much, as it still gives you an alternative during the organization phase.

I think the important part would be to disable the ability once it's on a character, so:

"If this card is not placed with a character, during your organization phase, instead of a normal character, you may etc."
Theo

Bandobras Took wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 pm I think the important part would be to disable the ability once it's on a character, so:

"If this card is not placed with a character, during your organization phase, instead of a normal character, you may etc."
Highlighting the differences underlined, I note that this card currently is not placed "on" a character, it is placed "with" a character... perhaps this would argue that it shouldn't be discarded if the character is removed from play? Certainly not the way I've played it up to now; what about the rest of you?

In a thematic sense, though, if the card is meant to represent the thralling voice of the wizard I don't see why it should leave play when the character leaves play. "For some the spell lasted only while the voice spoke to them, and when it spoke to another they smiled, as men do who see through a juggler's trick while others gape at it." If the enthralled character dies/runs off, why shouldn't the voice speak to another? But perhaps then if one opts to use it to bring another character into play, any previously enthralled character should be discarded if not already removed from play.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

CRF, Discard wrote:Whenever a character is discarded, all non-follower cards played with that character are also discarded.
Theo

Ah, thanks. Although elimination lacks such a clarification, the intent seems clear to me now.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Let's not be too limited; *ICE* in general lacked clarification. :)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thrall of the Voice is not played with character.
Theo

The only reference I've found that might pertain to the OP is below. Underline mine:
CoE66 wrote:In Digest #65, I ruled:
*** You cannot play Thrall of the Voice outside of your organization phase, but a Thrall in play that is not on another character can be used after a successful influence attempt after which you play the character in question.

Miika Karmitsa rightly pointed out:
Looks like that isn't possible: (emphasis mine)
Thrall of the Voice
Instead of a normal character, DURING YOUR ORGANIZATION PHASE you may bring into play one character (including a minion agent) with up to a 6 mind. Place this card with the character. -1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. Such a character may also be IN YOUR STARTING COMPANY.
*** Amend my ruling above from Digest #65 to remove the statement claiming that you can use Thrall of the Voice with an influence attempt.
Influence attempt aside, this could be read (via absence otherwise) as implying that the Thrall of the Voice can only be used when not on a character. Of course, as this netrep was so fond of saying, "if it isn't there, it isn't there". So in the current rules set I'd say Thrall of the Voice could be used even if currently with a character.

I like Konrad's direction of thought, although more clarity does seem helpful to avoid afresh allowance each organization phase:
"Instead of a normal character, during one of your organization phases you may bring into play one character (including a minion agent) with up to a 6 mind."

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”