Timing/on guard Question "Webs of Fear"/"Time

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Hi,

I need a rules and/or play tip in the following situation:

My opponent tries to influence a faction. I have Webs of Fear and Treachery on guard. When should/must I reveal it? Shall I wait until I think he/she played all his influence booster cards or do I have to reveal it immediately after he/she declared the influence check?

Can I play Webs on guard at all? Does it target the influence check respectively the modifications or does it affect the character who does the influence attempt?

Same question with Times are Evil.
Webs of Fear and Treachery
Except for unused general influence and unused normal direct influence (including influence modifications given in a character's card text), all modifications to each influence attempt are reduced to zero.
Times are Evil
All offering attempts and influence attempts are modified by -3.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

You can play on-guard and reveal Webs of Fear and Treachery/Times are Evil.
These cards does not target influence checks/attempts nor characters making inluence attampts. However these cards affects influence attempts.

According to CRF
You may reveal a card in response to an influence attempt against a faction even if the on-guard card only has an effect if the attempt is successful. You may also reveal a card in response to such an attempt that affects the actual influence attempt.

Only declared or on-going cards and effects can be considered when determining the validity of revealing an on-guard card. Potential effects that have not been triggered cannot be considered.
As far I know nowhere is explicitly written that on-guard must be revealed immediately in response to an influence attempt.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Wacho

It says you may reveal the card in response to the influence attempt. If you wait for other cards to be played then you cannot reveal your on-guard as you would not be revealing in response to the attempt, but in response to a card being played.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I'm not sure. E.g. Annotation 19 says:
Other actions may be declared in response to a body check, in the same chain of effects, but these are limited to those actions that directly affect the body check dice- roll.
Plural form may indicate, that several actions may be declared in response by both players, and obviously only one such action is declared immediatelly after declaration of body check.
I think that "in response" means here "in the same chain of effects". (Of course most on-guards are declared and resolved retroactively - "as though it were both declared and resolved immediately prior to the chain of effects during which it was revealed.")
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”