Events Requiring Character to Tap After Combat

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Theo

There are a number of cards that require a character to tap to keep the card after a company faces one or more attacks (from Rescue Prisoners to Lord and Usurper).

I have often been in games where effects that untap characters are created between the combat and the card requirement to tap a character, such as Cram or Angband Revisited. Thinking more methodically, I'm dubious that these are actually possible... aren't untapping effects only allowed during combat if they affect the resolution of the strike (so prior to the player's decision to suffer a -3 penalty for trying to keep them untapped, rather than after), and player's aren't normally allowed to interrupt the steps of resolution of a card (unless it generates an attack/strike or corruption check)?

Is this right? Or any other insights?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 am[...] and player's aren't normally allowed to interrupt the steps of resolution of a card (unless it generates an attack/strike or corruption check)?
A corruption check is not excuse to interrupting a resolution. It may be targeted in chain of effects in which it has been declared.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Cards With Multiple Actions

If a card specifies that more than one action occurs when the card is itself resolved in a chain of effects, all of these actions are to be resolved in the card's chain of effects uninterrupted and in the order listed on the card. No actions may be declared to occur between these multiple actions. The actions listed on the card are considered to have been declared in the reverse order as they are printed. As an exception, if one of the effects of a card is an attack, cards may be played that cancel the attack, cancel one of the strikes, or that otherwise are playable during the strike sequence.
Untapping a character after the attack is faced but before the card completely resolves is illegal, since no new actions can be declared once a chain of effects begins resolving. (Exceptions are outlined above, and they all must occur while resolving the attack.)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I asked the same question earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3236

I use Angband Revisited in my Balrog deck. I must time its use to right before declaring the permanent event which requires a character to tap (when needed). Then I play any attack canceling cards during resolution of the event (as permitted by rule). Occasionally, if I have 2 character tapping permanent events to play during the same site phase, then I will use Angband Revisited in-between the two (after the first has completely resolved and before the second has been declared). This works quite well.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm I asked the same question earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3236

I use Angband Revisited in my Balrog deck. I must time its use to right before declaring the permanent event which requires a character to tap (when needed). Then I play any attack canceling cards during resolution of the event (as permitted by rule). Occasionally, if I have 2 character tapping permanent events to play during the same site phase, then I will use Angband Revisited in-between the two (after the first has completely resolved and before the second has been declared). This works quite well.
Just to clarify: Angband untaps the character before the permanent event is declared. Cards that immediately create attacks can only be the first declared action in a given chain of effects.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 pm Just to clarify: Angband untaps the character before the permanent event is declared.
Yes, that's correct. I play Angband Revisted, untap a character. I then play XYZ permanent event from my hand.
Theo

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm I asked the same question earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3236
Whoops, my oversight! Thanks for the responses/confirmations.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”