Can A Character Be Both Hero And Minion?

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

MEDM wrote:MEDM includes minion cards-a new type of card with a new type of template-the background is iron with a "rusted" purple tint. (. . .) The concept of minions used in a non-agent fashion will be introduced in Middle-earth: The Lidless Eye.
MEWH wrote:All of your non-Orc and non-Troll characters are considered to be hero characters. Thus, a company consisting of only such characters is treated as a hero company. Such a company is covert for the purposes of playing minion resources.
I see nothing here that revokes a character's minion status, though considering a character to be a hero character may imply it. The Balrog Rules Summary doesn't help, either (indeed, the Balrog Rules Summary seems to ignore FWs altogether, as Stage Resources are not mentioned nor are the FW starting sites).

Can such characters as mentioned in the WH rules be both Hero and Minion? Or did ICE mean to preclude such characters from being considered minion? (This matters for such cards as Tokens to Show, and possibly some hazards.)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Now that I look at it, things are getting uglier:
MELE Glossary wrote:Hero: A character controlled by a Wizard player.

Minion: A character controlled by a Ringwraith player.
Going by these definitions, none of a FWs characters are minion. It's just that Orcs/Trolls fail to be hero. Of course, those definitions then go on to mention how to identify hero/minion non-avatar cards by their colors, so maybe purple character cards *are* minion for FWs. Yeesh.

And "hero" isn't defined in the METW rules at all.

Here's another from the White Hand rulebook:
STARTING CHARACTERS - Your starting characters (up to 5) may include hero characters and minion characters
They've already mentioned that your non-Orc/non-Troll characters are considered hero characters; does this indicate that such characters are still minion in addition to being hero, or is it just distinguishing card types?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Starting Characters

Your starting characters (up to 5) may include hero characters and minion characters,
but you may not start a character with a mind greater than 5.

However, you may not start Orc and Troll characters unless you start with an
appropriate stage resource card (e.g., Bad Company).
So maybe when they say about "minion characters", they mean Orc and Troll characters, that require appropriate stage resource card (all mentioned in the same chapter).

I think that a character can be both hero and minion, but not at the same moment and not for the same purposes.
Asternak under control of FW player is hero character, but played with Ride Against the Enemy (by the same FW player) he may count as a minion character.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:29 amI think that a character can be both hero and minion, but not at the same moment and not for the same purposes.
That's what I've thought, too, but I'd be more comfortable with some statement from ICE somewhere that either explicitly or implicitly says a character controlled by a FW *can't* be both hero and minion.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I would not expect such statement from ICE (they even are mixing including and using a cards in one place of Lidless Eye).
I even do not know whether discarding a character card from hand as condition of Drughu, or Refuge constitutes using the character (whether the condition may be fulfilled by FW player by discarding 6 or more mind character).
The same for revealing a duplicate during influence attempt and for Ride Against the Enemy.
Possibility of using an agent cards for above purposes by hero or Balrog player is interesting too.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”