Stormcrow vs Dark Minions

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Stormcrow from The Dragons:
Discard all resource permanent-events that have been played on each company with a Wizard (i.e., on the company as a whole, not individual characters, e.g., Fellowship).
Fate of the Ithil-Stone wrote:Playable on a company at Minas Tirith
Into the Smoking Cone wrote:Playable on a company with a sage
Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur wrote:Playable on a company if the company discards (for no effect) a Stolen Knowledge card it controls.
To the Uttermost Foundations of Stone wrote:Playable on a company at an Under-deeps site
Did ICE really mean to design four functionally useless cards in Dark Minions? All of these are meant to provide a large MP reward, but I don't see a way to prevent Stormcrow from erasing their existence at some point during the steps required to gain the MPs. All the more ironic when two of them are activities performed by Gandalf in the books.

Is there something that makes these events immune to Stormcrow? If not, should these be subject to an erratum, or is the added difficulty of having to complete them without even having a wizard in the company part of their design?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The events could be written differently - as playable on character. Then they would be vulnerable to any effect that removes a character from active play.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Mordakai
Council Member

Taking into account that no permanent event resources that give MP can be discarded/removed/invalidated in any other way (AFAIK), probably the most wise way to approach this issue is by considering Stormcrow only capable of removing non-MP giving permanent event resources. I always looked at Stormcrow as the only way to remove those persky Fellowship that we used back when only METW existed... However, that is not what the card actually says, of course...
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Some cards, sometimes, ideally hitting an opponent's strategy, otherwise completely missing it.

Rolling Down to the Sea ideally hits a strategy based on ring items, is somewhat useful in most other cases and may be completely failure if the opponent keeps in hand the Will Shaken.
Will Shaken is useless if an opponent does not use an effects that force his opponent to reveal his hand. Will Shaken may be failure against FW players (that gather positive MP for the card).

Even if I know (at some point) that may opponent is Wizard, I do not know yet, whether or not he will play a resource permanent-events on Wizard's company, or whether he will use a resource permanent-events playable on company at all.
I may keep Stormcrow in hand, waiting for occasion, but I must reserve a slot in hand for it.
Or I can keep Stormcrow in sideboard and wait for opportunity for bringing in into deck (and count for early enough drawing it).

In short: I do not see a problem in fact that a some card in some situation may be disaster for an opponent.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

Mordakai wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:31 pm Taking into account that no permanent event resources that give MP can be discarded/removed/invalidated in any other way (AFAIK)...
Besides all of those played on items/characters when those are removed from play, there is Neither So Ancient Nor So Potent.

Given that Stormcrow has a decent ability besides the one mentioned, comparison to RDttS seems weaker to me.

More importantly in my mind, the anticipated Stormcrow threat can be entirely removed by the resource player via party composition decisions.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”