Stealth/Many Sorrows Befall

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Annatar

Hi all!

Many Sorrows Befall can cancel cards like Stealth or Sneakin'? MSB is played in Movement/Hazard phase and Stealth/Sneakin' in Organization phase.
Stealth wrote: Scout only. Tap a scout to play at the end of the organization phase only if the scout's company size is less than three. No creature hazards may be played on his company this turn.
Many Sorrows Befall wrote: Unique. Forces the discard of resource long-event. Alternatively, can target and cancel one resource short-event declared earlier in the same chain of effects (i.e., before the resource short-event resolves).
Some spanish players argued that MNB can cancel the effect of Stealth/Sneakin' because the effect of these cards has not yet been resolved until the end of M/H phase. Is it correct? I believe that Stealth is resolved immediately after being played, so it could not be canceled later.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Annatar wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 am Some spanish players argued that MNB can cancel the effect of Stealth/Sneakin' because the effect of these cards has not yet been resolved until the end of M/H phase. Is it correct?
No.
Annatar wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 am I believe that Stealth is resolved immediately after being played, so it could not be canceled later.
Stealth resolves in chain of effects in which it has been declared. At the end of organization phase.

P.S.
CRF, Turn Sequence, Organization Phase wrote:Effects that are played during the organization phase, and depend on the site or site
path of a moving company, create an effect which is not declared until the new site is
revealed. If the site or site path is not of the appropriate type when the effect resolves,
the resource has no effect. If the company has multiple movement/hazard phases on
the same turn, the card applies separately to each phase, having an effect only if the
correct conditions are met.
I'm suspecting that above rule is source of belief of "some spanish players".

Because Stealth's effect does not depend on the site or site path of a moving company, the rule does not apply to the card.
Also Many Sorrows Befall cancels a resource short-event, not its effect.
There are cards able to cancel an ongoing effect of an already resolved card (e.g. Searching Eye), but Many Sorrows Befall is not one of such cards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Small side note to above:

Make certain also not confuse effects which depend upon a site path with effects which *create* a site path by enabling some form of movement.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”