Old-school, timing question, MTold

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

If my opponent has a Khamûl the Easterling - Nazgûl Perm (or other tap-able to event, or any event really) and 2 other Nazgûl Perms in play.

If during some Hazard phase WHAT IS the Timing and Cancellation's timing. It's an old school type ruling but I spaced this.

So, if my opponent has the Khamûl and it's my Resource Turn. During the M/H phase, if I:

Announce Marvel's Told targeting Khamûl, I would assume he can respond and say, "I use Khamûl discard 3 cards", right?

What about the reverse timing?

He announces Khamûl tap event, can I respond with Marvel's told and cancel his Khamûl ability/effect?

Thanks for the RULING here.

n.b. Now I understand, if during my organization I want to cancel his sitting Khamûl there is nothing he can do it's gone.
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 am So, if my opponent has the Khamûl and it's my Resource Turn. During the M/H phase, if I:

Announce Marvel's Told targeting Khamûl, I would assume he can respond and say, "I use Khamûl discard 3 cards", right?
Right.
rezwits wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 am What about the reverse timing?

He announces Khamûl tap event, can I respond with Marvel's told and cancel his Khamûl ability/effect?
No.
When tapped, Khamûl becomes short-event. Marvels Told cannot target a short-event.
rezwits wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 am n.b. Now I understand, if during my organization I want to cancel his sitting Khamûl there is nothing he can do it's gone.
If you are Fallen Wizard player, he can respond to Marvels Told with Blind to the West. If Marvels Told is played with Crown of Flowers he can respond with Twilight.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
rezwits
Council Member

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:53 am
rezwits wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 am What about the reverse timing?

No.
When tapped, Khamûl becomes short-event. Marvels Told cannot target a short-event.
No this doesn't make since to me because of the reverse order of the playing of cards.

Because if he "announces" he is tapping Khamûl, if I respond with Marvel's Told, then it would go in reverse order:

Mavels Told, targeting a Permanent Khamûl, in turn canceling the card, it would never get a chance to turn into a short event. Is what I am inferring here.

So you're saying it's like good old Icy Manipulator days with Disenchant, where It's an Artifact, and Instant effect.

i.e. a Permanent, with a Short Event effect.

k, I gotcha, I think haha
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:27 am No this doesn't make since to me because of the reverse order of the playing of cards.

Because if he "announces" he is tapping Khamûl, if I respond with Marvel's Told, then it would go in reverse order:

Mavels Told, targeting a Permanent Khamûl, in turn canceling the card, it would never get a chance to turn into a short event. Is what I am inferring here.
Tapping a Nazgul permanent-event is active condition (i.e. part of declaration) of the Nazgul short-event.
The tapping is not a main effect (that happens when the short-event resolves).

Players do not announce declarations, players declare actions.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”