The Evenstar

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG.
kodi

The Evenstar

Post by kodi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:36 am

Hi everybody!

I want to use a card in a new Elven-Wilderness deck and I think that the card "The Evenstar" could be usefull.

The problem is that I have some doubts about how to use/resolve it in some scenarios related with Gates of Morning and when played.
The Evenstar
Environment. The prowess of one Elf is modified by +1 until the end of the turn. Additionally, if Gates of Morning is in play, the prowess of each Elf is modified by +1 (until the end of turn); and, you may choose: one Wilderness treat as Border-land OR or one Border-land to treat as a Freeland. Cannot be duplicated.
Scenario 1:
I play Evenstar in untap phase without GoM in play. (+1 Prowess of one Elf). In m/h phase, I play GoM. Then happens the second effect? (+1 to all elves in play) Or the second effect only happens if GoM was in play when Evenstar resolves in untap phase?

Scenario 2:
Similar to Scenario 1. I play Evenstar in untap phase with GoM in play. (+1 Prowess of one Elf and +1 to all elves). In m/h phase, opponent discards my GoM. Dissapears the second effect? No more +1 to all elves?

Scenario 3:
Related to treat one Wilderness as a Bordeland: if I play Evenstar in untap phase, when decide which Wilderness to transform? Before resolve Evenstar or I can do it at any moment during my turn?

And which Wilderness? In my path? Any in the map? Any of a site path?

Example: I play Evenstar with GoM in organization. If I move from Rivendel to Bree and opponent plays cavedrake. In response, can I transform wilderness?

Scenario 4:
I play Evenstar in organizaion with GoM in play. I decide target Cirdan +1 prowess. In addition, +1 to all Elves. The, is Cirdan +2 to prowess?

Thanxs

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Re: The Evenstar

Post by Konrad Klar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:17 pm

kodi wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:36 am
Scenario 1:
I play Evenstar in untap phase without GoM in play. (+1 Prowess of one Elf). In m/h phase, I play GoM. Then happens the second effect? (+1 to all elves in play) Or the second effect only happens if GoM was in play when Evenstar resolves in untap phase?
Second effect only happens if GoM is in play when Evenstar resolves.
kodi wrote:
Scenario 2:
Similar to Scenario 1. I play Evenstar in untap phase with GoM in play. (+1 Prowess of one Elf and +1 to all elves). In m/h phase, opponent discards my GoM. Dissapears the second effect? No more +1 to all elves?
The second effect does not disappear due to discarding a GoM. However if GoM has been discarded in result of Doors of Night, DoN additionally cancels all resource environment effects.
kodi wrote:
Scenario 3:
Related to treat one Wilderness as a Bordeland: if I play Evenstar in untap phase, when decide which Wilderness to transform? Before resolve Evenstar or I can do it at any moment during my turn?
Good question.
CRF, Errata(Cards), Evenstar wrote:Can be played even if there are no Wilderness in play. Does not affect attacks.
This means that the Wilderness (presumably also the Border-land) is not target of the card.
This in turn means that it is not specified at declaration.
This in turn means that it may be specified when The Evenstar resolves.
kodi wrote:
And which Wilderness? In my path? Any in the map? Any of a site path?
Any in play (some Wildernesses may exist in path, but not at map, if starter or special movement is used).
kodi wrote:
Example: I play Evenstar with GoM in organization. If I move from Rivendel to Bree and opponent plays cavedrake. In response, can I transform wilderness?
No. You may specify the Wilderness (or the Border-land) when The Evenstar resolves, not later.
kodi wrote:
Scenario 4:
I play Evenstar in organizaion with GoM in play. I decide target Cirdan +1 prowess. In addition, +1 to all Elves. The, is Cirdan +2 to prowess?

Yes. Cirdan has +2 to prowess.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

kodi

Re: The Evenstar

Post by kodi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Thank you Konrad! Very usefull answer ;)

Return to “Rules Questions”