Agent attacks during site phase

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Theo

MEDM wrote:Attacking With an Agent
During your opponent's site phase, each of your agents may attack a company if the following conditions are met:
  • The agent is at the same site as the company.
  • The company decides to enter the site.
This attack is declared and enacted at the start of the site phase immediately following any automatic-attack. If face-down, turn the agent face up.
(underline mine)
What sense of language is typically used for the underlined portion? If a site has no automatic-attack, is it impossible to declare and enact an agent attack through this rule? Or is the "any" interpreted in the sense of "any that exist", an ordering caveat rather than a necessary condition, since it is not among the bulleted conditions?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Yes, I think the intent is to indicate an order in case there are automatic-attacks.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I agree. I don’t think the AA is a requirement for an agent, or it would be a bulleted condition.

The “any” to me just reads as the sequence in which the agent attacks IF there are any AAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theo

I would totally agree (there is no ambiguity in my mind) if the phrase used plural automatic attacks as you both have done. It's that singular form that gives me pause. But I'm perfectly willing to go with it. Under that interpretation of "any", then, I would also expect that an agent couldn't attack between automatic attacks at a site with multiple automatic attacks.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”