Haz Limit Doubled

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

Two quick questions for cards like:
Lost in Dark-domains
Playable on a company that is moving this turn. If the company has a Dark-domain [d] in its site path, its hazard limit is doubled until the end of the turn. "...each day, each mile, was more bitter than the one before, as their strength lessened and the land became more evil."-LotRVI
Let's say TWO Circumstances:

1. Company of 3 HL = 3 BUT, during the untap the opponent said they are going to HALVE the Hazard Limit, 1.5 interpreted as 2.
A. So therefore if the Haz-player plays Lost in Dark-domains or similar, does the Hazard Limit goto 4 or 3? I would honestly say it SHOULD be 3.

2. Company with, Gandalf, Aragorn II, and Bilbo. HL = 2.5 then is interpreted as 3.
B. Opponent plays Lost in Dark-domains or similar, does the HL goto 6 or 5? I would honestly say it SHOULD be 5.

Just my 2¢ anyone else want to chime in let me know. I mean I know most of you are going to chime in: A=4 and B=6.

But shouldn't the Hazard Limit be in #1 be 1.5? and just during the whole Haz Phase, the 0.5 just counts as 1 once it get's used or get's "checked?"

Here is my only argument and my only foot to stand on.

The rules as far as I know say:
The hazard limit is set when the company’s Movement/Hazard Phase begins
Does that mean the HL is set to 1.5? then when you ASK what does that mean, you say that's 2?
And then when the HL is set to 2.5? then when you ASK what does that mean, you say that's 3?

Just arguing a case, for COOLNESS... and accuracy, but if the rules say calculated and rounded etc when H-Phase Begins, fine whatever.
Because as far as I know, the definition of "HL gets calculated" means you look at company composition, and or any Halving at Untap...

Laters...

n.b. just a fun conversation I thought I would throw out!
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Lost in Dark-domains doubles the amount of HL that is at its resolution.
In situation #1 it doubles 1 to 2 (Lost in Dark-domains itself count against HL).
In situation #2 it doubles 2 to 4.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
meaglyn

I don't think that's right. If, and I believe that's right. the rules state:
It also says
(e.g. it remains fixed)
Then it does not go down as you play each hazard. Just the number of hazards you have played goes up and cannot be > HL.

It rounds up (but seems not to respect the minimum of 2). So in the 1.5 case that rounds to 2. Then the HL is doubled by Lost to 4,
with one played, leaving 3 available before reaching the limit (but the HL is still 4).

I'm not the rules expert some of you are but I've been playing (off and on) since pre-ordering metw. I've never looked at it as the HL goes down as you play hazards. The count of played hazards goes up until it reaches the limit. I think you get into trouble taking the should cut of thinking about the HL going down as you play hazards.

Case 2 should be HL = 6 with one played leaving 5 available. Again HL is still 6 at this point.

My 2 cents.

Edit: "short cut" not "should cut"
Last edited by meaglyn on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rezwits
Council Member

meaglyn wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 pm I don't think that's right. If, and I believe that's right. the rules state:
It also says
(e.g. it remains fixed)
I'm not the rules expert some of you are but I've been playing (off and on) since pre-ordering metw. I've never looked at it as the HL goes down as you play hazards. The count of played hazards goes up until it reaches the limit. I think you get into trouble taking the should cut of thinking about the HL going down as you play hazards.

Case 2 should be HL = 6 with one played leaving 5 available. Again HL is still 6 at this point.

My 2 cents.
Yeah that's sick! Just gave me an idea for a combo.

Check out this:
MEAS: Power Built by Wating
Tap during a company's movement/hazard phase to increase the hazard limit against that company by one. This card does not untap during your untap phase. You may use two against a company's hazard limit to untap this card. "'And perils known and unknown will grow as we go on.'" -LotRII
Tap 1 or 2 of those bad boys, then play Lost in Dark-domains!! Dang!
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

meaglyn is correct.
You check the hazard limit at declaration and resolution. At declaration there must be less hazards already declared than the hazard limit. At resolution there must be no more hazards declared than the hazard limit.
The hazard limit is only reduced by cards that explicitly do such (e.g. Many Turns and Doublings), not by the playing of hazards.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Yes. I have learned something new.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”