Good Sense Revolts

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

Playable on an untapped agent. Tap the agent who may then make an influence attempt against an ally, faction, or character. +4 to influence attempt, +8 if ally, faction or character is playable at agent's home site. Alternatively, modify an influence attempt by an agent by +4. This card cannot serve both functions.
What does the last sentence mean? Is it reduntant?
CDavis7M

I thought a lot about this too. But if you look at other cards it makes sense.

(1) you can use this card (Good Sense Revolts) to make an influence attempt. Unlike characters, agents cannot inherently make influence attempts.

OR

(2) you can use Good Sense Revolts to boost +4 an influence attempt initiated by another card (Golodhros, Your Welcome is Doubtful, etc)

I posted a deck that uses this card and mentions some statistics. But say the influence attempt modifiers on each side even out so that you need to roll 1 greater than your opponent. That would be a 44% chance. With (2) Good Sense Revolts +4, you'd have an 84% chance. Of course, now you need 2 cards vs 1.

(1) Good Sense Revolts on its own can work well against low mind allies or characters where the opponent does have much GI. Factions are harder to influence so you'd need it to be playable at the agent's home site or have the faction in hand yourself.

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Jose-san wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:26 am What does the last sentence mean? Is it reduntant?
I'm suspecting that idea of creators was that Good Sense Revolts in alternative use cannot be used to modify a influence attempt performed with help of other copy of Good Sense Revolts played for primary use.

But they failed to express the idea correctly. With or without "This card cannot serve both functions." a given copy of a card cannot be played both for primary and for alternative effect.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”