Twilight vs Many Sorrows Befall

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Hombarus

I tell you how:

You can play it in opponent's turn in any phase. You cannot play it in your turn, never, as you cannot play it as resource (it does not allow you to do so - as opposed to Twilight). I mean is that really that difficult?

Quick instance:
I hold 2 BTTW in my hand. Opponent plays a stealth in org phase and I get to cancel it.
Then my opponent play a longbottom leaf in site phase and I cancel it by playing the second copy of BTW.

And the reason being so, is the quote few comments above:

From the ME:TWCC (page 7 – EVENTS)
Resource short and permanent-events can be played at any time during your turn (unless stated otherwise in their text). Resource long-events may only be played during the resource long-event phase of your turn. Hazard events, wether they be short, long, or permanent, may be played at any time during your opponent's movment/hazard phase. Remember, you will only play resource cards during your own turn; and you will only play hazard cards during your opponent's turn.

This game is not half as broken as you guys tend to claim it. You just simply misinterpret it (be the reason poor linguistic skills or lack of cohesive thoughts and process etc).

Quite frankly, at the risk of being the outcast of this forum, it worries me, that people who more and more profoundly prove that they do not understand this game and/or the language it is written in tend to rule the cases in their own personal taste and then jump at my throat for using the word childish when proving them completely wrong. Over and over again.
Last edited by Hombarus on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What have you guys done to [-me_eye-] I used to love?!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:45 pm You can play it in opponent's turn in any phase. You cannot play it in your turn, never, as you cannot play it as resource. I mean is that really that difficult?
It is really difficult to understand, because I mentioned two cards: Blind to the West AND Wizard's Laughter.
And now I do not know what you mean by "it".
Blind to the West?
Wizard's Laughter?
Something else (if so, what?) ?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Hombarus

By BTTW I meant Blind To the West yes. I did not mean Wizard's laughter by BTTW
Hombarus

As for Wizard's Laughter...

The erratum is wrong. It is missing "can be" played in opposition's site phase. Because now I cannot play it in my turn to use it against an agent action.

And it is again an exception to the rule allowed by the card itself (erratum actually) just like the case of twilight that is a hazard and allows you to play it in your turn as a resource even though it is not one. So simple. Can't see how can you get confused about it...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:59 pm By BTTW I meant Blind To the West yes. I did not mean Wizard's laughter by BTTW
OK. Now I understand. I replied to your post, before you edited it.

So Company vs. Company Combat does not make exception from:
"Remember, you will only play resource cards during your own turn; and you will only play hazard cards during your opponent's turn."
and
Blind To the West may be played only by defender.
Right?
Hombarus

I have very little knowledge of the CvCC. But I will do my reading and come back to you. But apart from the CvCC it is clear and simple.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, The Cards and Decks wrote:You can use resources at certain sites and under certain conditions. Resources include: items, factions, allies, events, etc. You may only play resource cards during your own turn. You use hazards to hinder and attack your opponent's characters in order to prevent them from marshalling resources. You may only play hazard cards during your opponent's movement/hazard phase.

Clarification: The card Twilight, is an exception to this rule - it can be played at anytime, either as a resource or as a hazard (it does not count against the hazard limit). Certain other cards specifically state when they may be played as exceptions.
Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:45 pm This game is not half as broken as you guys tend to claim it. You just simply misinterpret it (be the reason poor linguistic skills or lack of cohesive thoughts and process etc).
Especially if the half that does not fit in some theory will be discarded.
Hombarus

Or if you really want to split hair and pretend you do not understand what the card means. So let me help you:

You can play it any time (in your own turn) as a resource.

You can play it any time (in opponent's turn) as a hazard.

BECAUSE:
From the ME:TWCC (page 7 – EVENTS)
Resource short and permanent-events can be played at any time during your turn (unless stated otherwise in their text). Resource long-events may only be played during the resource long-event phase of your turn. Hazard events, wether they be short, long, or permanent, may be played at any time during your opponent's movment/hazard phase. Remember, you will only play resource cards during your own turn; and you will only play hazard cards during your opponent's turn.

I mean how many times do I need to quote the exact same statement to get through to you?

Please stop pretending as if I have introduced something unheard of to the table. It is scary that if you believe it is not straight forward that you give advice to others how to play the cards in this game. Even more so if you do not actually pretend. Then I am lost for words.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:16 pm Please stop pretending as if I have introduced something unheard of to the table. It is scary that if you believe it is not straight forward that you give advice to others how to play the cards in this game. Even more so if you do not actually pretend. Then I am lost for words.
If someone says that he understands a given text in such or another way, I assume that he understands the text in that way.
Thanks to such approach I have more time for understanding and explaining a rules than I would have if I would be focused on someone's state of mind, or motivations.

If rule(s) is (are):
"You may only play resource cards during your own turn. "
"You may only play hazard cards during your opponent's movement/hazard phase."

then the text:
"Clarification: The card Twilight, is an exception to this rule - it can be played at anytime, (it does not count against the hazard limit). Certain other cards specifically state when they may be played as exceptions."

means that the card Twilight may be played as a hazard not only during your opponent's movement/hazard phase AND may be played as a resource not only during your own turn.

Otherwise there would not be any exception.
Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:16 pm I mean how many times do I need to quote the exact same statement to get through to you?
You have an unlimited number of trials. However without guarantee of success.

TIP 1:
Lidless Eye, Using MELE with METW wrote:Note: Unless stated otherwise, the Wizard player uses the METW rules and the Ringwraith player uses the MELE rules. Most elements of METW and MELE are identical both of these series are part of the Middle-earth Collectible Card Game (MECCG). Should a discrepancy arise between an aspect of the MELE rules and the METW rules, the MELE rules take precedence as they were written with refinements in language and organization. Do not to confuse an element of MELE that is particular to playing a Ringwraith with a Wizard's perspective on things - passages containing Ringwraith only rules are marked with a changebar in the margin.
TIP 2:
"the exact same statement" you are quoting does not come from MELE.

All underlines mine.
Hombarus

So why is it written you can play it as a resource, if in your (total lack of) logic the card can be played any time you wish?

The reason why resource is there in the first place to allow you to play it in your turn too. If that was not there, along with the line otherwise it is a hazard you would be right. This though proves you wrong.

On the other hand. The card does not state anything like "You can play this card as a hazard in your own turn". That would be a very clear statement. And the reason why, is that it is completely against the dynamics of the game. Simple as that. And the reason it is not written there is because of the many times quoted trivia in place, that you cannot play hazards in your turn. The one thing it does is to allow you to play Twilight in other phases than M/H phase of your opposition, because if they play it outside their own M/H phase to take of your environment card you can react to it.

This debate we are having shows that most of the "confusion" about this game is created by the very people - about the rules - who are now "sorting it out" on this forum.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 pm So why is it written you can play it as a resource, if in your (total lack of) logic the card can be played any time you wish?
Because "may be played any time" and "may be played as either resource or hazard" are separate things.
Sated Beast may be also played during opponent's M/H phase (by its text) and does not require to do so be played as a hazard.

Being played as a resource has its advantages. During opponent's M/H phase it may help evade effects of Here is a Snake! and/or Spying out the Land.
Hombarus

Sated beast specifically defines the condition it can be played when not played in your own turn. Just like Wizard's laughter - well the erratum.

So same question again: Why is it stated that "you can play it as a resource" AND "Twilight is a hazard OTHERWISE"?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

In addition to reasons given in my previous post: a cards that may be played either as a resource or as a hazard may be included either as a resource or as a hazard in play deck.
So it is the additional advantage of being able to be played as either a resource or as a hazard.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Hombarus wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:39 pm AND "Twilight is a hazard OTHERWISE"?
I forgot about that part of your question. I'm sorry.

Effects that allow for searching for resource, or bringing a resource from sideboard to play deck or discard pile cannot be used to perform such operation with Twilight.
Hombarus

Absolutely wrong.

The reason why it is stated, is that now you can play it in your own turn to counter opposition environment cards. And the "anytime" is added to allow you to counter the resource played in their organisation phase by your opponent. And otherwise is there to make it clear. Also to make it clear that Twilight (as I have seen it so many times in online deck listings) is a hazard and cannot be included in your deck as a resource to make up the even ratio.

The moment you can play Twilight as resource, makes you able to play it in your organisation phase. Player A has Doors of night in play. Player B plays Twilight in their organisation phase to get rid of it. Now Player A gets the opportunity to counter it. Otherwise there would be almost no chance to keep Doors in play, as I can always get rid of it in my org phase and I get an undeserved advantage to play it so.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”