Cancel Strike (Fury fizzle?)

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

If I announce Pirates keyed to Wilderness.

n.b. I don't know when the official timing of Fury of the Iron Crown has to be announced but:
And my opponent says:

Situation 1 (which order I don't know but that's a different question)
He assigns strike to Character 1.
He assigns strike to Character 2 (wearing an Elven Cloak).
He assigns strike to Character 3.

He defeats strike 1 with char 1.
He goes to strike 2, and I announce: Fury of the Iron Crown.
He says, well then I am going to cancel the strike. Does this FIZZLE Fury of the Iron Crown, i.e. the card doesn't have it's effect??
He defeats strike 3 with char 3.

(see situation 2 below for the other timing issue)

Creature not defeated? OR Creature placed in MP pile?

I would say if you cancel the strike then Fury Fizzles...

So two questions, but one main question:

A. Does cancelling the strike fizzle Fury of the Iron Crown?
B. When do you or can you play Fury of the Iron Crown? During assignment or Before Strike Resolution:

Situation 2 (just in case, which order like I said I don't know but this is a different question, but just in case)

He assigns strike to Character 1.
He assigns strike to Character 2 (wearing an Elven Cloak), I interupt and say I would like to use Fury of the Iron Crown, on this strike.
He says, well then I am going to cancel the strike. Does this FIZZLE Fury of the Iron Crown, i.e. the card doesn't have it's effect??
He assigns strike to Character 3.

He defeats strike 1
He defeats strike 3
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:12 am He says, well then I am going to cancel the strike. Does this FIZZLE Fury of the Iron Crown, i.e. the card doesn't have it's effect??
Lidless Eye wrote:All of the factors affecting a strike must be decided during the strike sequence before making the roll (2D6). Cards that do not affect the strike may not be played during the strike sequence. Address these factors in the following order:

The attacker may play hazard cards that affect the strike (these count toward the hazard limit against this company).
The attacker may decide to use any or all of his remaining (if any) -1 modifiers due to unallocated strikes (i.e., strikes in excess of the company's size).
A target untapped character may take a -3 modification so that he will not automatically tap following the strike sequence.
The defending player may play resource cards that affect the strike (up to one card that requires skill).
CRF wrote: Annotation 18: When a defending player chooses to resolve a strike against a particular character, the only actions that may be taken by either player until the strike dice-roll is made are the following: playing hazard cards that affect the strike, the attacker may decide to use any or all of his remaining -1 modifications due to strikes in excess of the company's size, a target untapped character may take a -3 modification so that he will not automatically tap, and the defending character may play resource cards that affect the strike. An action that has the condition that a target character tap, but which otherwise has an effect not outlined here, may not be declared at this point. This is true even if the recipient of the strike would be the target character tapping and thus receive -1 to his prowess.
@ Interpret "may play resource cards that affect the strike" in annotation 18 as "may initiate resource / character effects that affect the strike". [CoE] %
@ Getting rid of an event that boosts the strike's prowess is affecting the strike, as per annotation 18. [CoE] %
It is not that the four mentioned steps are part of one big chain of effects.
First:
The attacker may play hazard cards that affect the strike (these count toward the hazard limit against this company).
(the cards are declared and resoled in chain of effect)
Then:
The attacker may decide to use any or all of his remaining (if any) -1 modifiers due to unallocated strikes (i.e., strikes in excess of the company's size).
Then:
A target untapped character may take a -3 modification so that he will not automatically tap following the strike sequence.
Lastly:
The defending player may play resource cards that affect the strike (up to one card that requires skill).
(the cards are declared and resoled in chain of effect)

Tapping of Elven Cloak counts as resource / character effects that affect the strike"

So at the point when action that cancel a strike may be declared Fury of the Iron Crown is already resolved.

After attack a defender may play The Iron Crown.
rezwits wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:12 am n.b. I don't know when the official timing of Fury of the Iron Crown has to be announced but:
Good point/question.
Text of Fury of the Iron Crown does not say that the attack in question must be faced.
It need to be existing*.
So nothing prevents the card from be played on a strike from automatic-attack, which not necessarily will be ever faced.

*) For attacks that say "each character faces one strike" it is unable to determine how many strikes such attacks have until the strikes will be assigned (it may be 0 if all characters in company are unable to face strike, e.g. due to second effect of Ruse). And for this reason no strike from such attacks exists as a target nor at all.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
rezwits
Council Member

ok, thanks, Klar.

Fury Resolves.
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm So nothing prevents the card from be played on a strike from automatic-attack, which not necessarily will be ever faced.
This is wrong. I misread the sentence:
"The prowess of one strike of an attack by an Orc, Troll, Man, or Nazgûl creature is increased by +4."
as:
"The prowess of one strike of an attack by an Orc, Troll, Man, or Nazgûl is increased by +4."

So no. Fury of the Iron Crown may not be played on strike from AA.

I am maintaining other statements of my post.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”