Narya - can't tap to support corruption

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
CDavis7M

Gandalf only. +4 prowess, +1 body, +2 direct influence for the rest of the turn.
Immediately untap all unwounded characters in Gandalf's company. Gandalf makes a corruption check modified by -5.
Originally, I thought that characters could untap and then re-tap to help gandalf with the corruption check. So, even though -5 is rough (-4 due to Gandalf's +1), at least this card could be playable in larger companies.

But that is not the case. There are 2 old CRF rulings saying:
Since the CC of Narya is declared at some point, you may tap in response to the declaration, but the character is no longer
tapped by the time the CC is resolved. Similarly, you can play cards in response to the declaration of a dice rolling event, and as long as they are still valid when the die roll is resolved, it affects the die roll. The problem is that Narya untaps the characters between the declaration of the CC and the resolution.
And
The CRF entry on Narya is correct. You cannot tap to support Narya's cc because the effect of tapping only occurs when the tapping resolves (and that only happens when the cc resolves). Additionally, Narya cannot be played on Gandalf if he has orcs or trolls in his company because Narya (a hero resource) targets the company.
Can someone help me understand this? Does the word "immediately" have any different effect than if it were not used?

It seems clear that the sentences on the card are not declared and then resolved one at a time, otherwise, you could tap to support. That is, you do NOT play this as: 1 declare untapping, 2 resolve untapping , 3 declare corruption check, 3.5 tap in support, and 4 resolve corruption check. But why not? A list of actions on a single card should not be treated the same as multiple cards creating a "chain of effects"?

Regardless, it seems like you play this as 1A declare untapping, 1B declare corruption check (I'm not sure whether 1A or 1B happens first), 1.5 tap in support of CC (and/or play cards to help the CC?), 2 resolve untapping, 3 resolve CC (the characters are no longer supporting because they are untapped). But what if an intermediate event cause the character to tap for a different effect prior to resolving the Corruption?

And, why does the untapping resolve before the corruption check? If the corruption resolved first, then at lease you could tap previously-untapped characters in support (who would then untap afterwords).

In general, what is the order for declaring multiple actions on a card? Is the entire card declared at once? And what is the order for resolving them?

And why does the word "immediately" not declare&resolve the untapping effect prior to declaring&resolving the Corruption check? The definition (ie, without any intervening time or space) would seem to require that the untapping is resolved before any other resolutions, and perhaps before any other declarations, such that the untapping is resolved before tapping in support.

Thanks everyone for helping me learn this game.

Last edited by CDavis7M on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm Does the word "immediately" have any different effect than if it were not used?
Not here.
CDavis7M wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm That is, you do NOT play this as: 1 declare untapping, 2 resolve untapping , 3 declare corruption check, 3.5 tap in support, and 4 resolve corruption check. But why not? A list of actions on a single card should not be treated the same as multiple cards creating a "chain of effects"?
You cannot declare anything between multiple declaration from the same card.
Unless an action is an attack or a strike, you cannot declare anything during resolving of chain of effects.
CDavis7M wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm And, why does the untapping resolve before the corruption check? If the corruption resolved first, then at lease you could tap previously-untapped characters in support (who would then untap afterwords)
Because it is written in such order on the card.
CDavis7M wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm In general, what is the order for declaring multiple actions on a card? Is the entire card declared at once? And what is the order for resolving them?
Both a card itself and individual actions from the card are declared.
For the chain of effects containing only Narya, the order of declarations is:

Gandalf makes a corruption check modified by -5.
Immediately untap all unwounded characters in Gandalf's company
Gandalf only. +4 prowess, +1 body, +2 direct influence for the rest of the turn.
Narya

Order of resolving is as printed (and reverse to an order of declaration).

Tapping in support to cc is treated specially by rules. Other actions that modify cc may be declared in response to cc and they are in effect when they successfully resolve. E.g. New Friendship may be declared in response to Narya, and the +2 to cc will be accounted when New Friendship will resolve (before Narya will resolve).
Effect of tapping in support to cc resolves when target cc resolves. If at the point a character that tapped in support is not in play AND tapped, the effect does not resolve.
CRF, Rulings by Term, Corruption wrote:The resolution of a character tapping to give +1 to a corruption check happens when
the corruption check itself resolves.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Thanks for clearing that up Konrad. I appreciate all your efforts.

I wonder whether any other untapping mechanisms cause this problem. Arkenstone does not because it targets another character, which makes the CC. I can't think of any other card that is "broken" by the timing mechanism.

Also, it seems like When I Know Anything would still work, but would require the Sage to already be untapped (eg, not untapped by Narya). To practice what I have learned, I will have Gandalf in a company with a Sage that has When I Know Anything:

(Play Narya)
Declare CC on Gandalf
Declare untapping company
Declare boosts (I'm unsure whether there is even a need to declare/resolve, but it doesn't hurt)
Declare Narya card itself

("Activate" When I Know Anything, it is already in play)
Declare Sage makes CC
Declare boost one CC by character in company by +3
Declare tapping of sage to initiate boost (this seems more like a condition than an action, but it probably doesn't hurt to declare it)
Declare When I Know Anything (WIKA)

(Nothing else is played or activated, moving on to resolution)

Resolve WIKA card
Tap Sage
Boost other CC by +3
Sage takes a CC

Resolve Narya card
Boost Gandalf
Untap company including the Sage
Gandalf takes CC at -2 (-5 + 3 = -2 )

Presumably, due to the timing and wording of these cards, Gandalf could tap himself with WIKA played on him to boost his CC from Narya.

And, a Sage could use WIKA to boost the same CC created by WIKA (which makes no sense) because the CC is declared first and the boost is resolved first.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:12 pm Presumably, due to the timing and wording of these cards, Gandalf could tap himself with WIKA played on him to boost his CC from Narya.
Yes.
CDavis7M wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:12 pm And, a Sage could use WIKA to boost the same CC created by WIKA (which makes no sense) because the CC is declared first and the boost is resolved first.
Not the same Sage. I a Sage with When I Know Anything taps to activate effect of WIKA, he is already tapped thereafter and cannot tap to activate anything else.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”