Open to the Summons

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

OPEN TO THE SUMMONS ‐ Permanent‐event (U)
Playable on a company. One agent minion may be played with target company at a Darkhaven [ [-me_dha-] ] ‐ place this card with the agent. ‐1 to his mind to a minimum of 1. This card may be played with a starting company in lieu of a minor item. When played as such, reveal it when starting companies are determined as if it were a character. Cannot be
duplicated on a given character.
I recently played a game where my opponent made the argument that this card can be used to bring an additional character into play during his turn. So, for example, he first plays a character normally during his organization phase at a Wizard-haven or Dark-haven. He then plays Open to the Summons and plays a second character (agent minion) at a Wizard-haven or Dark-haven. Thus, he brings 2 total characters into play for that turn.

I couldn't find any rulings addressing this. Any thoughts on if this play should be allowed or not? I feel this card wasn't designed to allow this, but I can understand how the argument can be made.
rezwits
Council Member

One could think this with Thrall too, like these cards are somehow all of the sudden, A Chance Meeting and We have Come to Kill. I always thought of BOTH of these cards as "Characters you can bring into play ENHANCEMENTS" not as an A Chance Meeting or WhCtK...

As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Sam.Gamdschie

May be we should clarify this for Thrall & Open to ensure both are played this way.
I know it is ‚normal‘ game mechanics but as both cards are more often used the wrong way (in the same way like ACM / WhctK) it should be clearly mentioned.
Co-founder of the Hamburg Scenarios and Former Slave of Lure's Price Ceremonies
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

rezwits wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:29 am One could think this with Thrall too, like these cards are somehow all of the sudden, A Chance Meeting and We have Come to Kill. I always thought of BOTH of these cards as "Characters you can bring into play ENHANCEMENTS" not as an A Chance Meeting or WhCtK...

I agree with your interpretation.
I like this Konrad, but this is just your opinion, correct?
Sam.Gamdschie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:58 am May be we should clarify this for Thrall & Open to ensure both are played this way.
I know it is ‚normal‘ game mechanics but as both cards are more often used the wrong way (in the same way like ACM / WhctK) it should be clearly mentioned.
I agree about clarifying for both. I have already submitted Thrall, found here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3794
and I plan to submit Open to the Summons as well, but wanted to post about it here first to make sure I didn't miss an important ruling, etc.
I disagree that Thrall and Open are more often used like ACM/WHCTK (over-riding normal character play rules). From my personal experience, I have only encountered one player who suggests them being interpreted this way.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm I like this Konrad, but this is just your opinion, correct?
Yes (opinion expressed due to lack of official regulations).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
rezwits
Council Member

100% agree, those were some other good points too...
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”