Clarification #7

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

Clarification 7 wrote:A detainment attack is considered successful if its prowess is higher than the defending character's final prowess whether he tapped or not
which is a little off, but with this fix we can continue :wink: ...
minor, underline mine wrote:A strike from a detainment attack is considered successful if its prowess is higher than the defending character's final prowess whether he tapped or not.
What does "whether he tapped or not." mean here?

To me this means...

If I have a character with 6 prowess facing a 9 prowess strike, from a detainment attack. If I choose to let him tap, and I roll a 3, then the final prowesses are 9 v 9, or 9 not greater than 9. My guy is tapped, but that doesn't matter, the final prowess is 9 v 9.

Correct?

changed, "choose to tap him" to "choose to let him tap"
Last edited by rezwits on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

What is the source?

Common misconception:
"a character taps to/against strike"

Correctly:
an untapped character may decide to not to automatically tap after unsuccessful strike for a cost of taking -3 penalty to his prowess against given strike.

This means that a character that was untapped at beginning of strike sequence always remains untapped for duration of the strike sequence, unless tapped or wounded in result (or as a condition) of action declared in the strike sequence.

If a character is tapped or wounded (for any reason) before roll is made, he suffers -1 (if tapped) or -2 (if wounded) penalty to his prowess.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
rezwits
Council Member

Man, I am having a hard time with this one:

What does "whether he tapped or not." mean here?

Does that snippet mean?

A. Wether he tapped as a result of the roll?
or
B. Wether he declined to take a -3?

Thanks 🙏
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Taken out context the phrase "whether he tapped or not." is meaningless.

Because wording of:
"A strike from a detainment attack is considered successful if its prowess is higher than the defending character's final prowess whether he tapped or not."
is imprecise (i have explained why) i can only try to guess what author was trying to express.

Strike from detainment attack is considered successful regardless the fact whether the strike caused tapping of character.
If character was already tapped (or wounded) a successful strike from detainment attack obviously will not tap him.
Only criterion that decides whether a strike was successful/failed/ineffectual is result of roll (eventually other effect that makes the strike automatically successful/failed/ineffectual).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Many times, people confuse a strike succeeding with the result of a successful strike. Something that prevents the result does not also prevent the strike from succeeding.

Thus, Sable Shield prevents the result of a successful strike (wounding), but effects which rely on the strike succeeding will still apply.

A card such as Blow Turned will prevent a character from being tapped as a result of a detainment strike, but the strike will still be considered successful. I think that's all the clarification is saying.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”