Tapping to use a Palantír

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Saruman wrote:Unique. May tap to use a Palantír. At the beginning of each of his end-of-turn phases, he may tap to take one "spell" card from his discard pile and return it to his hand. "His face was long, with a high forehead, he had deep darkling eyes, hard to fathom..."-LotRIII Home Site: Isengard
How exactly a tapping to use a Palantír means?

Does it mean that a character that so taps receives an ability to use Palantír? And if so, when having the ability expires?
Or it means the the character taps to initiate an effect of Palantír, that otherwise would require having an ability to use Palantír and tapping the Palantír?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Use Palantír wrote:Sage only. Tap sage to enable him to use one Palantír he bears for the rest of the turn. "But he himself went up alone into the secret room under the summit of the Tower; and many who looked up thither at that time saw a pale light that gleamed and flickered from the narrow windows for a while, and then flashed and went out."-LotRV
Wisdom to Wield wrote:Sage only. Playable on a non-Ringwraith sage bearing a Dwarven Ring and/or a Palantír. This turn the sage: bears the Dwarven Ring as though he were a Dwarf or is able to use the Palantír. "'But one at least Saruman must have obtained and mastered to his purposes.'"-LotRIII
Bold original.

Unlike texts of Saruman, Calendal, the texts of above cards specify a duration.
meaglyn

I think it's reasonable to assume it's for the turn like Use Palantir. No need to go making extra complications...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

meaglyn wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:02 am I think it's reasonable to assume it's for the turn like Use Palantir. No need to go making extra complications...
Assuming that it means a tapping for receiving an ability to use Palantír. Then obviously the effect must last some time after resolution of tapping, otherwise it would be unusable.

Do you exclude the option:

"it means the the character taps to initiate an effect of Palantír, that otherwise would require having an ability to use Palantír and tapping the Palantír"
?
Theo

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:06 am Or it means the the character taps to initiate an effect of Palantír, that otherwise would require having an ability to use Palantír and tapping the Palantír?
"use" is the action---I see nothing indicating that the character receives an ability to "enable him" or become "able" to use a Palantir. Rather, I read it as meaning that the character taps to initiate an effect of a (particular) Palantir, that otherwise would require having an ability to use. One component of using a Palantir tends to be tapping the Palantir. Consequences:

* Only one Palantir can be used (no ability to use Palantir in general).
* Palantir must be used as part of the resolution of tapping Saruman.
* I would say that the particular use must be declared along with Saruman's tapping (the Palantir tapped at the same time), but I could believe if this opinion was more contentious.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I do not want to undermine your interpretation, but if:
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3686
would pass, then according to the your interpretation, Saruman or Calendal tapping to use a Palantír would avoid a performing of a corruption check.
(maybe the reason to withdrawing the proposal)
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”